Sign in to follow this  

Hollister sound regs.?

What if your bike is close to 96? Do they check everyones exhaust when you go in, or just test the bikes that sound loud?

only if your way over......I ride there quite frequently and never been tested..........during the week I usually dont even see s ranger

I cant even say i ride there alot in fact i have only been once but i did see the rangers giving about 3-4 tests over the period of 7 hours. i bog it down when i see them thats for sure.

Get a quiet pipe...problem solved. Loud pipes are hurting our sport. :applause:

When you get there, ask to be tested. If they test you after you've been riding, it could be ticket time!

Ride on

Brewster

Get a quiet pipe...problem solved. Loud pipes are hurting our sport. :applause:

Good performance exhaust will almost never meet the 96d required by law. I dont think its loud pipes as much as liberal ideas about our "enviroment's needs" When in fact true ohv'ers are very respectable people. :lol:

I hope someday im a good enough rider to need a loud performance pipe, but untill then my fmf Q pipe seems to work good and tested 93 db at the last enduro.

I was at Hollister Fri. and seen a ranger check two riders pipes. Iam not sure if he was checking for loudness or spark arresters but they loaded up their bikes and left. I dont know if they were ticketed or not.

What if your bike is close to 96? Do they check everyones exhaust when you go in, or just test the bikes that sound loud?

Mine tested at 97.8db and still got the little "sound check" sticker put on my green sticker. There is a 1.5db margin of error and in that ranger's judgement he thought I was close enough. I did request the test and I was cool about it but if I had been pulled over and started mouthing off, I think it would have been a ticket. BTW the pipe with fresh packing is significantly quieter than when I was tested. :applause:

They do not check when you go in. That would take forever!! They check for reg and sparky at the ranger kiosk. The only time they check is if you either request a courtesy sound test or you get pulled over by the ranger for suspicion of being too loud.

Lately it seems like all the loud vehicles out there are either the pickups with the 8 inch lifts or the quads :lol: The bikes generally seem quieter this year:applause:

Thanks for the replies. My buddies crf 450 is borderline I'm sure. He doesn't want to drive three hours to be turned away.

Keep it down low near the main roads. Get to the trails and it's less likely to be a problem. Very rarely do you see a Ranger away from the main roads because that's where the idiots hang out and do stupid things.

Good performance exhaust will almost never meet the 96d required by law. I dont think its loud pipes as much as liberal ideas about our "enviroment's needs" When in fact true ohv'ers are very respectable people. :applause:

this is why our sport is hurting from sound. The old school idea that LOUD = POWER. simply not true. Even if it was. What good is a really powerful bike that you can't ride?!

this is why our sport is hurting from sound. The old school idea that LOUD = POWER. simply not true. Even if it was. What good is a really powerful bike that you can't ride?!

I did not mean loud=power at all. My buddie just got a whole yosh set up for his bike and it hit 99 when checked at carnige. I got supertrapp because i can adjust the sound without tons of packing. Im just saying most good pipes are louder then they should be to pass. They should talk to the guys with the screaming eagle pipes on the street

When this first started I voluntarily had my old TT500 checked it came in 1 point over it's limit and it was not a problem I got my sticker and off I went haven't even been checked since.

Im just saying most good pipes are louder then they should be to pass.

i'm just saying you're wrong. if a pipe is not legal to ride on public land, how can it be 'good' ??

most all the mfr's make decent legal pipes now. if you think you need more power than a legal pipe provides, you are a poser imho.

read some of the magazine tests lately. poser tester kooks at the mags 'feel' like the 07 yamaha is slower because it is quiet, yet they turn their fastest lap times on it. that's because magazine testers (like most other people) are poser kooks. but at least they admitted it, lol.

i'm just saying you're wrong. if a pipe is not legal to ride on public land, how can it be 'good' ??

most all the mfr's make decent legal pipes now. if you think you need more power than a legal pipe provides, you are a poser imho.

read some of the magazine tests lately. poser tester kooks at the mags 'feel' like the 07 yamaha is slower because it is quiet, yet they turn their fastest lap times on it. that's because magazine testers (like most other people) are poser kooks. but at least they admitted it, lol.

ding ding ding..we have a winner....Velo "the voice of reason" has spoken wisely! Sounds faster is the key...makes a big noise therefore it MUST be faster! What a crock...quiet is fast..Just ask any Husky rider! :applause:

BTW..I had an older KLX 331 with one of JL's custom head pipes and can on it. It was somewhat loud and got stopped on the main road near the store at Hollister. Back to the shed for a sound test..FAIL! By 4 dB! Back to camp and put the quiet tip in. Back for recheck.. PASS! Rode the rest of the day with the previously unused quiet tip in.

The difference in power..not very noticable.

Difference in sound..very noticable.

I was a convert from then on. Changed out my pipes on other bikes to more quiet models and have lived and ridden everywhere without having to look over my shoulder...priceless peace of mind.

I have a WB E2 exhaust and love it. It is quiet but I can still hear the revs for shifting. I personally hate being in the parking lot with a bunch of loud bikes running. It gets annoying.

Loud pipes are like a backyard kegger with a band playing...the cops will be there in no time to shut you down.

Quiet pipes are the same party but inside the house...still will making some noise but less likely to have the cops called and less annoying for the neighbors.

I can party indoors, just as long as I get to party!

The rangers know what bikes with what pipes will pass or not. Anyone would know this after testing hundreds of bikes. If your buddy has a CRF 450 with stock exhaust and a PMB tip with screen, it will pass.

been to Hollister 5 times and yet to have to pay or sound checked...most times never even see the Rangers...but as another poster said get a quiet pipe and help keep places open for everyone!!!

I've got a DRZ250, and I put a yosh full pipe on the thing. I took out the sound incert because I was a dumba$$ and thought "it's a DRZ, it's not loud!" Then I had it tested at Prairie City by a Ranger - 102 dB!! Put the insert in and instantly it was 95 dB. I rode it BOTH ways on the trails and the only difference I could tell was the noise it made. I was very careful to keep track of speed on hills and what gear I needed, NOT how fast it "felt".

And by the way, if you have a CRF450 with stock pipe, you're not guaranteed to pass dB levels. If your packing is worn out, you may not pass. Rangers know this, and they've been trained not only to look for bikes/pipes that typically don't pass, they're also trained to listen for them.