Sign in to follow this  

Buying jets DRZ\KLX125 and DRZ\KLX110

Ok heres a tip from a newbie to the other newbies!

You have read and or gotten some advice on jetting so your off to the shop to pick up some jets! only to find out that the parts guy is completely clueless about these bikes :lol:

Rule #1 Take the jets with you! most of them wont be able to tell what fits it from the oem part # or the carb part # go figure. :eek:

Rule #2 Get a few that fit (dont get just one) their cheap and the shop that has them in stock (thanks to Murphy) will be a long ride!

Rule #3 They will most likley not have the pilot jet and have to order it and won't be able to get the right part number for the reasons stated above.

Rule #4 If you can afford it call and order from an online shop that specializes in these bikes and knows what the heck there talking about! You will have to wait for the pilot jet anyways.

If anyone has links to a reseller that can ship the right part the first time PLEASE HELP!!! :lol:

This reminds me of when I used to be an auto mechanic and we would have a great time sending the new parts guy searching for a thermostat for a 69 volkswagon!! Except these parts exsist. :applause:

For the DR-Z125 / KLX125 folks, the carb is the same as the one used on the Yamaha TTR125. If you have a Yamaha dealer close by, you can, perhaps, save yourself a longer trip to a Suzuki or Kawasaki dealer.

The TTR125 needle is a nice improvement over the stock one in the DR-Z/KLX. You might want to pick one up.

Order what you need online from Sudco.

I went to four Dealers today and not one had any Jets for a Mikuni VM20SS!

Even the mighty Chapparal Motor sports does not stock them!

I called Sudco and ordered a packet (4each) as thats there minimum purchase. Still cheaper than what I paid in time and gas today!

Sudco #20 Pilot Jet is : Sudco Pilot Jet 20 Part Number 004-030#20

VM28/486 Type

28_486.jpg

Sudco#105 Main Jet Is:

The mains are the N100.604 Large Round Type Part Number 004-182 #105

mikmain3.gif

I was able to get the right jet for the VM on the second long trip...lol But you should have seen the look on there faces when I plopped the 110's teeny weeny jet on the counter...lol They did find one listed this time but it was 10 bucks or so......... One more experience like that and I'm buying a set of metric micro bits and making a jig for my drill press. :lol:

For the 125 I got a 107.5 (smallest they had above stock) and two larger ones for future adventures in carb land. May be a little rich, I just opened the airbox. But I can go by the kid down the street on his crf100 now and I have 100 pounds on him! Also made short work of a ttr125 and had about 50 pounds on that kid. So again not sure if the 107.5 is the best choice but the engine seems to like it so far. :applause:

I actually went 105 on the Main and 22.5 on the Pilot.

Drilled out the air screw and backed it out 2.5. Air screw was closed all the way!!!!

Runs freaking Great! I am at Sea Level. Starts first kick, warms up fast and idles beautifully. Crisp clean acceleration all through its RPM ranges.

I opened the air box up by removing most of the top and even drilled three more holes on the sides and used Uni Filter inserts and a Uni filter .

Little Bike jams now!

Drilled out the air screw and backed it out 2.5. Air screw was closed all the way!!!!

That was also true on my DR-Z125 as delivered. It hardly idled.

Check denniskirk.com - jets at good prices delivered to your door.

Those be the jets...

I had a hard time finding the right ones as well. Yamaha needle was easy to get though.

Funny thing was...after drilling my fuel screw plug out, I found that the screw was turned all the way in.

Thanks Factory guys... what are they thinking?

I'm testing the 110 main and 20 pilot. I have the next sizes up as well. We'll see.

"Drilled out the Air Screw......"

What? I have a jet kit and Yosh system coming. All the jetting makes sence but what is drilling out the air screw then turning it out?

I guess I am just confused as to what you are drilling. Please help.

Thanks

Here is a link to a thread with pictures showing a DR-Z125 carb. It shows where the brass insert is located that is covering the pilot screw. You need to remove the brass insert covering the screw in order to be able to adjust it.

Ok heres a tip from a newbie to the other newbies!

You have read and or gotten some advice on jetting so your off to the shop to pick up some jets! only to find out that the parts guy is completely clueless about these bikes :p

Rule #1 Take the jets with you! most of them wont be able to tell what fits it from the oem part # or the carb part # go figure. :p

Rule #2 Get a few that fit (dont get just one) their cheap and the shop that has them in stock (thanks to Murphy) will be a long ride!

Rule #3 They will most likley not have the pilot jet and have to order it and won't be able to get the right part number for the reasons stated above.

Rule #4 If you can afford it call and order from an online shop that specializes in these bikes and knows what the heck there talking about! You will have to wait for the pilot jet anyways.

If anyone has links to a reseller that can ship the right part the first time PLEASE HELP!!! :p

This reminds me of when I used to be an auto mechanic and we would have a great time sending the new parts guy searching for a thermostat for a 69 volkswagon!! Except these parts exsist. :applause:

We stock most of the jets for this carb, sold as singles (some as 4 pack only) and we know what we sell. So, all along you were where you needed to be.:applause:

Mains

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Western_Power_Sports_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=428&s=2

Pilots

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Western_Power_Sports_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=429&s=2

Sorry bout that Bryan, I missed a chance to support the forum that supports us.

You guys are GREAT.

Thanks for the response on where to drill that thing out.

I got the Yosh today. Cannot wait to put it on my sons bike, then get me one for the DR-Z 400E. :)

Thanks again for the info.

We stock most of the jets for this carb, sold as singles (some as 4 pack only) and we know what we sell. So, all along you were where you needed to be.:thumbsup:

Mains

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Western_Power_Sports_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=428&s=2

Pilots

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Western_Power_Sports_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=429&s=2

Crap Bryan!

I just spent 2X that at my local dealer! Almost 6 bucks a jet!! DOH!!!!!:ride:

I should have checked here first!:)