Sign in to follow this  

2006 YZ250F Rear Shock Question

I originally had this over on the YZ forum so I thought I might try it here as well.

Let me first say that I am 177lbs w/o gear, Vet c rider, riding only MX.

I rode my bike with the stock settings last year, only having the clickers dialed in by a suspension tech at the track. The setup worked well but i have been thinking about a revalve. Why is it when I put my weight into all of the spring rate calculators on all of the suspension sites, I am right on in the forks but they tell me to go waaaaaay down in the rear? Did Yamaha overspring the back that much?

I did search the forums but i didn't find much on the 2006. It seems that for 2007 they did soften it up, but I also realize that the geometry of that bike has changed.

I am looking for input from someone around 180lbs who has changed the rear spring on their 2006. Are you happy with the results? I also welcome input from people who stuck with the stocker. Like me, you would assume that Yamaha would match the front/rear suspension for the same weight. It just seems that they did the front for 180lbs and the rear for 190lbs +.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I weigh 165lb and went down on the rear(and front) went to a 4.7 on the rear and 0.42 on the forks, i think the rear is a little oversprung std, also revlaved the rear shock as i felt the compression was still too stiff.

I got some interesting answers on the YZF forum. It seems that some people think that the suspension sites quote a spring rate based on steel springs. remember the 06 / 07 YZF's have Ti springs. Does Ti react differently thanl steel??

A spring has a rate IMO and it doesnt matter if its steel or Ti, but i hear the Ti are not that consistant.

A spring has a rate IMO and it doesnt matter if its steel or Ti, but i hear the Ti are not that consistant.

Yes, from what I am hearing it seems that the Ti spring might be progressive? SUnruh had mad a good point on this thread over in the YZF forum.

I am going to bounce this of of John Curea