Sign in to follow this  

250 vs 250F : Weight

I was thinking about that the other day. Why is the 250 2 stroke about 10lbs heavier then it's 4 stroke counterpart for every brand? Their engines are the same size technically. I know only the compression part of the 2 stroke is 250cc but the 4 stroke have a head and cam chain so it should compensate. :applause: So where is that 10lbs gap coming from? The frame? Very unlikely. :lol:

Guess I"m not exactly sure where the weight comes from, but I can say that my new 06 YZ250 FEELS lighter (especially in the air) than my 04 KX250F did. Might just be the center of gravity, or set up, but that's my impression.

I would imagine the 2-stroke to be much lighter than the 4-stroke. I think they may put a thicker frame on the bigbore 2's and 4's--my brother's 450 has a pretty large frame, compared to my 250f.

Guess I"m not exactly sure where the weight comes from, but I can say that my new 06 YZ250 FEELS lighter (especially in the air) than my 04 KX250F did. Might just be the center of gravity, or set up, but that's my impression.
Center of gravity and additional power is my guess. I also thought the 2 stroke engine would be lighter but the whole package is still heavier.

My guess is that since a 250T has a longer stroke, it will have a heavier crank and bigger cases to accomodate that crank, plus it will have heavier duty tranny parts, etc... for the extra power. Also, there are probably some frame differences for the more powerful motor that add some weight. That's why a 125T is lighter that a 250T, same as a 250F is lighter than a 450F. A little bit here, a little bit there, can add up quick.

...and the rims, spokes, tires are bigger, that would add a little more weight.

While these weights may be possible, I suspect "creative number interpretation" in the advertising department. Case in point, my '03 CR250 weighed 213 pounds stock with all fluids (except gas), plus radiator guards and a Trail Tech kickstand. The Honda site claims the 2006 CR250 (same basic frame and bike with lighter hubs, swingarm, etc.) weighs 213 pounds stock and bone dry. At the same time, on the powersport.honda.com site, Honda claimed a 228 lb dry weight for the '04 - '05 CRF250X while Ramsey measured 236 lb stock with all fluids except gas. It's possible, but it all sounds kinda fishy.

My guess is that since a 250T has a longer stroke, it will have a heavier crank and bigger cases to accomodate that crank, plus it will have heavier duty tranny parts, etc... for the extra power.
Claimed dry weight for the CRF250R engine is approximately 53 pounds. My '01 and '03 CR250 engines each weigh approximately 52 pounds dry. Anybody know the dry weight for the CRF450R engine?

Anybody know the dry weight for the CRF450R engine?
Found it myself. Honda claims 63 lbs for the CRF450R engine. So let's see, Honda says the CRF450R (218 pounds) is 14 lbs heavier than the CRF250R (204 pounds) and 10 pounds of that is engine, so according to Honda, the 450 chassis is approximately 4 pounds heavier than the 250 chassis. However, the CR250 engine weighs the same as a CRF250R engine, but the CR250 is still 9 pounds heavier than the CRF250???? Possible, but very fishy.

Did a quick search of the advertising pages for the different brands, and don't see what you mean ... Am I missing something?

07' kx450f ... 220lbs

07' kx250 .... 214lbs

07' crf450r .. 219lbs

07' cr250r ... 213lbs

07' yz450f ... 222lbs

07' yz250 .... 212lbs

Did a quick search of the advertising pages for the different brands, and don't see what you mean ... Am I missing something?

07' kx450f ... 220lbs

07' kx250 .... 214lbs

07' crf450r .. 219lbs

07' cr250r ... 213lbs

07' yz450f ... 222lbs

07' yz250 .... 212lbs

I'm comparing 250F with 250, not 450. :applause:

I was thinking about that the other day. Why is the 250 2 stroke about 10lbs heavier then it's 4 stroke counterpart for every brand?

because someone is lying.

the 250sx is around 210 this year if i recall, and the yz250 is around 218-ish (ready to ride except gas). if the 250f's actually weight less than that (real weight, not advertised weight), then i'll ride slickrock in a thong this weekend and get pics to prove it.

the 250sx is around 210 this year if i recall, and the yz250 is around 218-ish (ready to ride except gas). if the 250f's actually weight less than that (real weight, not advertised weight), then i'll ride slickrock in a thong this weekend and get pics to prove it.

I heard it's usual for you. :applause:

...and the rims, spokes, tires are bigger, that would add a little more weight.

I thought that the rims and tires were the same size on all the big bikes.

:applause:

I thought that the rims and tires were the same size on all the big bikes.

:applause:

A 250 has a wider back rim than a 250F.

He was saying the 250 2 stroke vs 250 four stroke engine weight.

The four stroke has cams and valves, but the 250 four puts out less ponies than the 250 stoke, therefore the four stroke can have a lighter transmission/drivetrain (gears , clutch, etc.) than the 250 2 stroke.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the "counterpart" to the 250 be a 450F. The counterpart to the 125 is the 250F.

It may be that your counterpart has a different definition than mine. The only thing they share in common is the number.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the "counterpart" to the 250 be a 450F. The counterpart to the 125 is the 250F.

It may be that your counterpart has a different definition than mine. The only thing they share in common is the number.

It's exactly why I called them "counterparts". :applause: Sorry for the confusion.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photos/totalweight.jpg

See "Comparative Weight" chart:

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/motocross/141_0503_2005_250cc_two_stroke_compared/index.html

Will velosapiens ride slickrocks wearing a thong then bring pics to proove it? You deside. :applause:

keep trying. it would be good if the weights were published by the same magazine, and for bikes of the same year. the dirtrider post is 2005 bikes. the motorcycle-usa link doesn't say what year. even if we were to totally believe that, all it would say is the weight of some year's 250f's were close to the weight of 05 250's. NOT 10 lbs lighter.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photos/totalweight.jpg

See "Comparative Weight" chart:

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/motocross/141_0503_2005_250cc_two_stroke_compared/index.html

Will velosapiens ride slickrocks wearing a thong then bring pics to proove it? You deside. :applause: