Sign in to follow this  

ttr 125 shock (stock res/works?) for yz 85 fork conversion

I'm looking to upgrade the rear shock on my TTR 125. The stock shock on the bike is not adjustable at all. I'm looking to possibly replace it with a remote reservoir shock. I see the new 125s have a remote res shock. Does anyone know how this shock compares to the Works shock? With an almost $200 (approx.) price difference, is there really that much difference between the two shocks? Is the stocker rebuildable? Should I just work more overtime and fork over the bucks for the Works shock?

What I really want to do is raise the rear just a bit. I plan on fabricating a clevis for the bottom of the new shock. I have the YZ 85 fork conversion and the BBR swingarm, but the front is still a wee bit on the high side. If I can gain an inch or two, I may even be able to lower the fork tubes back down in the triple clamps.

I really LOVE the bike, and will be getting more power soon (new pipe, bore and stroke, etc.). Right now I have the fork conversion, BBR swingarm-chain guide-frame cradle, homemade 1 3/4" handlebar risers, Motion Pro 3" longer throttle and clutch cables, Gutz Racing tall seat foam and gripper cover, longer front brake line (from a friend who had one laying around his garage), EE bark busters, Fastway lowboy footpegs, and the IMS shift lever.

With all the above, the bike has the ergonomics of my full size TTR 250, as well as the same seat height (the 250 has a Kouba lowering link). I use the 250 as a dual sport bike. The 125 is a trail/play bike.

Thanks for any input!!

Yes, the ttr shock is rebuildable. I would dish out the bucks for the works though. You can order it a lil longer even to raise the rear.

The stock TTR shock works insane when you revalve it. You can even add a remote reservior to yours. My buddy did it and he redid the shim stack. Now you can not bottom it if you tried and it has a ton of damping. Obviously, it's not a mod for novice mechanics, but if you know a good motorcylce mechanic you can do it.

you can also drill a hole an inch to the rear of the stock one that will raise you 1.5 to 2 " and give you about 1/2 to 3/4 more travel in the rear...i did that and measured the travel with the shock in each hole .....that is an easy way to solve the rear height issue.....but you still need a shock that works well....the leverage changes slightly and seems a little softer but not much.....ive thought about a works shock but im wondering if the ttr l shock is rebuilable its diff from the le and if so how does it work and the cost to do it , and wheres a good place to send it? if it is.

where did you get the gutz tall seat,,,,,,,cant find a link for it

you can also drill a hole an inch to the rear of the stock one that will raise you 1.5 to 2 " and give you about 1/2 to 3/4 more travel in the rear.

Does anyone have any photo's of this mod ?

I just did it yesterday. I raised it 3". My seat height is 35" with a BBR tall seat. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

theres 2 ways you can raise the rear height by drilling....1..drill a hole directly below the other.....2 drill it to the rear of the stock hole...most i think have done the first one....i used the latter . i wanted to keep the angle of the shock as close to the original as i could......just wanted the height ....not reengineer the susp......i gained a little over 2" and i could then use the forks to level the ride height. i also gained a little travel.....1/2 inch or so some how....so i know the leverage has changed some but not much...as you push the swinger down the angle of the shock to the plane of the swinger decreases in front and increases to the rear....if youll notice when you hold the shock at the stock angle pull the top bolt and go down with the swinger 2"" the shock eye will move rearward. that is approx where the hole should be drilled....it keeps the susp geometry at least close.so that rated shocks and springs used after that will also be pretty close. ttr066.jpg

might have to mag it a little but you can see the top bolt on this one.