Sign in to follow this  

Motorcycle Noise Issues-WTF

Hi this is an interesting subject for me. I just bought a new DRZ400s for my enduro. On this site I have read all the posts about keeping the bikes quiet, but everyone seems to advocate a full system. So what gives. I have also read the posts about it being "impolite" to not have a quiet bike.

I can tell you as a street rider of a very nasty (modded), and very loud shovelhead, that loud pipes on the street are safer than quiet ones. My bike and I scare the :applause: out of citizens into not running my ass over in and around Seattle. I am not some HD newby with a 30,000 dollar bike, I built my ride along time ago.

How do I know about loud being safer, well when I ride my R1 with stock pipes cars and drivers act way different even if I am traveling at the same speeds and riding styles, on the same roads.

Now I live on a main street that Ferry commuters take to get to the boat and seriously loud bikes are not the problem for my family, people telling me how I should run my motorcycle, beacause they think thats how they should run thiers is the problem.

What do you guys think, are dirt bike riders really offended by other riders on "loud" bikes?

See you at the Wa Rally in Olympia, Fight the Sound Bill!

What do you guys think, are dirt bike riders really offended by other riders on "loud" bikes?

Offroad I find really loud bikes obnoxious (trails).

On-road as long as loud bikes are on the highway...fine. But being loud in residential areas is not cool.

There is a difference between being loud because one needs to be (race machine/power) and being loud just because you can.

• Like 1

Noise is a huge issue for dirt bikers. Most of us ride on public lands that are used by a lot of other people, too. Hikers, bicyclists, horse people, and many others really don't care to be assaulted by high noise levels when they are enjoying the outdoors and I can't really blame them.

As far as the loud pipes being safer B.S., why do so many Harley riders who claim that wear the little beanie helmets???? That blows away the safety argument. Besides, the noise from loud pipes is mostly going in the wrong direction to be of any help.

Have you given any thought to the way you ride your different bikes as being a possible difference in the way you are treated by other people on the road?

• Like 1

You know what's even safer than loud pipes? Not riding at all. Which the majority of citizens will decide is "good"... for you and your loud bikes.

• Like 1

Hey mcoy, :lol:

I'm with you on this one...

All of my riding is on the street (no dirt), so when I'm coming up on a car from the right rear, I want them to look around and do a when they hear the Supertrapp telling them that I'm there.

Los Angeles is motorcycle heaven... and many of them are plenty loud, yet I've never seen anyone get hassled for pipes.

I can understand noise etiquette for dirt riding because my house is next to a State Park and am really grateful that the only bikes running around there have pedals on them.:applause:

Take Care,

Greg

• Like 1

Lot of different opinions on this... like the oil issue, it can get religious. My only suggestion would be use common sense. You can control your loudness somewhat by not revving the throttle in inappropriate places. You can also put in the quiet insert if your going places where you'll spoil the atmosphere, like a quiet national park, pristine trail or residential neighborhood. Then take it out on the highway, non-residential street or track.

Hey mcoy, :lol:

I'm with you on this one...

All of my riding is on the street (no dirt), so when I'm coming up on a car from the right rear, I want them to look around and do a when they hear the Supertrapp telling them that I'm there.

Los Angeles is motorcycle heaven... and many of them are plenty loud, yet I've never seen anyone get hassled for pipes.

I can understand noise etiquette for dirt riding because my house is next to a State Park and am really grateful that the only bikes running around there have pedals on them.:applause:

Take Care,

Greg

very well put :lol:

The big concern with off road bike noise is that it's one of the root causes of more and more areas being designated as off limits to off road vehicles.

And these days more and more after market exhausts can give you good power gains, with very little noise increase.

It only takes one self-impressed dickhead with an excessivley loud pipe to close down an off road riding area for hundreds of other guys. Certainly worth seriously thinking about before you go loud.

• Like 1

glad i wont have to worry that.hell even our govenator in cali,arnold ownes a harley

So, your saying that any half wit with a Harley and (before his wreck) no moto license is a good thing?!?

Concerning noise, all people need to be more aware of their surroundings, and excessively loud bikes like mccoystudio's harley ('My bike and I scare the :applause: out of citizens') is not the answer.

If you need to be heard to be seen, that's one thing, but being so loud as to 'scare the :lol: out of citizens' is disrespectful and hurting our sport.

My 2 cent,

Lonster

• Like 1

So, your saying that any half wit with a Harley and (before his wreck) no moto license is a good thing?!?

My 2 cent,

Lonster

no.... its reality...so yes loud pipes save lives

If anyone thinks that Loud Pipes on the street are okay.........well, just do a search to find the details and more information about the fight going on in Carefree & Cave Creek AZ (in the Phoenix metro area). :lol:

I'm not voicing any opinion on this issue, but I'm just posting some information.

Happy Riding !!

:applause::lol:

I wonder if this guy had a loud pipe? Stealth can be a good thing, too.

POSTED: 4:34 pm PST February 26, 2007

UPDATED: 6:26 pm PST February 26, 2007

LOS ANGELES -- A motorcyclist was shot Monday while riding in a dry riverbed near the Littlerock Dam, according to authorities.Map: Littlerock, Calif.The sheriff's department said one of two dirt bike riders in the riverbed was shot in the leg at about 2:30 p.m. The victim was hospitalized in stable condition.Deputies said the shooting occurred near Mount Emma and Cheseboro roads.Investigators said the shooting stemmed from a confrontation that involved the motorcyclists and a man with a rifle. They said the man turned and fired on the motorcyclists after the argument, said Sgt. Vince Carter.Investigators said the shot appeared to be fired from about 400 feet.Bloodhounds and about 40 deputies searched the area, but authorities have not found the gunman.The dam is in the Antelope Valley Littlerock Recreation Area, southeast of Palmdale. Deputies said it is illegal to ride motorbikes in the area.

Copyright 2007 by NBC4.tv. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

If anyone thinks that Loud Pipes on the street are okay.........well, just do a search to find the details and more information about the fight going on in Carefree & Cave Creek AZ (in the Phoenix metro area). :lol:

I'm not voicing any opinion on this issue, but I'm just posting some information.

Happy Riding !!

:applause::lol:

Just a quick note to ya'll on this posting.........I didn't post any of the published details on this LOUD PIPES & Carefree and Cave Creek thing because I was too lazy...........that would have been :naughty:

But instead, if I copied & posted it here, that would have been a Copyright Infringement :worthy:...........which is a lot worse than riding on the street with loud pipes!!

Happy Biking !!

:lol::eek:

Biggest issue I have ever seen is the left turner in front of you. Loud pipes are just loud. How does it help here?

The contribution to safety is zero unless you are worried about being rear ended. Think about the way sound works and travels and try to figure out how that would help. Or just don't bother cause you may not understand.

Responses to THE BIKE may be different. The only difference is some guy on an obnoxious AND loud bike.

Sorry but it is such a stupid argument.

Flame away.

Biggest issue I have ever seen is the left turner in front of you. Loud pipes are just loud. How does it help here?

The contribution to safety is zero unless you are worried about being rear ended. Think about the way sound works and travels and try to figure out how that would help. Or just don't bother cause you may not understand.

Responses to THE BIKE may be different. The only difference is some guy on an obnoxious AND loud bike.

Sorry but it is such a stupid argument.

Flame away.

You're right, but try to explain that to a guy who wants a loud pipe, because he likes it that way. :applause:

I've been in the audio recording business for decades. Low frequency sounds are notoriously non-directional. That's why vehicle horns emit high-frequency tones. And it's why emergency vehicle sirens emit high-frequency oscillating tones.

A loud pipe, especially a low-freq Harley or Thumper exhaust tone, is just as likley to cause a car driver to veer right into your path, as it is to warn the car driver away.

You're right, but try to explain that to a guy who wants a loud pipe, because he likes it that way. :applause:

I've been in the audio recording business for decades. Low frequency sounds are notoriously non-directional. That's why vehicle horns emit high-frequency tones.

A loud pipe, especially a low-freq Harley or Thumper exhaust tone, is just as likley to cause a car driver to veer right into your path, as it is to warn the car driver away.

What on earth does science have to do with rudeness and ignorance. Please. Just the emotions here:mad:

What on earth does science have to do with rudeness and ignorance.

LOL

:applause:

:applause: RESPONSIBLE/INTELLEGENT dirt bike riders are offended by other dirt bikers on bikes with loud pipes. I don't know what is more offensive,loud pipes or quads that won't stay on their trail! I suppose quads with loud pipes that are off tearing up the local wetland would be worse (many times in sight of a road). Irritating others is the reason areas get shut down.

99.9% of the people that say, "Loud pipes save lives", don't ever use their front brake or understand countersteering. If they need to be heard so to not be collided into by others on the road :lol: then they need to take a beginners riding course from the motorcycle safety foundation. With over 25 years of riding on the street behind me (much of which was in large cities) I have had only one instance where a set of loud pipes might have helped the situation. There was no accident because I was paying attention. If I rode with loud pipes, thousands of people would have been offended in the same period of time.

The simple truth is people who must ride with loud pipes have an image/confidence problem and need to make a scene to get some attention.

Flame out.

• Like 1

regardless.....i dont think anyone should be told they cant run a loud pipe....im an advocate for "pro choice" i choose to run my stock pipe because it is not loud.

rekindled flame :applause:

last time I checked they weren't closing many freeways due to "environmental" reasons. you can be loud all you want and the roads won't close. on the other hand the "greenies" will use any excuse they can muster to close off-road areas. I'd give up a couple of HP and a little safety on-road for a place to ride off-road.

off-road there is no "safety factor" in having a loud bike.