Sign in to follow this  

Help! 400E is dying at 75-80mph roll ons....

I've had my 400e set up as a motard for the last 8 months. Up until two days ago it has been running great. We went on a 100+ mile ride on Sunday. (Probably the first time I've taken it on the highway for more than 10 miles at a time). The bike was doing fine cruising at 75, then I went to roll on the throttle to make a pass and it stumbled and seemed to die. As soon as I rolled off the throttle, it came back to life and was happily cruising at 75 again. This happened several more times on the ride whenever I went to pass a car and was doing 75ish. I don't really know what the problem could be, but I suspect it's something to do with my carb jetting. This is new behavior for the bike. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I should check?

Here's what I have on the bike right now:

FMF Q-series pipe w/ powerbomb header

Uni-Filter

Jetting: (I don't really know b/c the guy I bought it from did the jetting)

If it was working well, then quit working well, figure out what changed and fix it.

For example: if you were running well at low altitude, then took a trip to the mountains and it ran like crap, the altitude changed. You'd need to adjust for altitude.

For example: if it was running great, then you took a long weekend thrashing in dusty conditions, your air filter changed (i.e. got clogged), you need to clean the :applause: . :lol:

For example: if you had the tank off, and it starts running like crap after, maybe the routing of the fuel line or vent line changed. Check for pinched hoses.

Don't just do random stuff trying to fix the problem. :lol: Try to make a methodical plan of most-likely to least-likely and attack it in that order.