Sign in to follow this  

My new (to me) RV

I picked up a 1978 Dodge Minnie Whinnie to pull the bikes. It's like driving some crazy car! I'm totally all over the road with this thing. Is this normal with an RV or did I screw up buying this thing? This is the first time I have ever driven one.

It's an RV not a sports car. I wouldn't expect crisp steering response. However, it is a 1978 vehicle. Things wear out. If you have to constantly turn the wheel to the right and left to keep it in the lane, then it most likely has worn out steering components. Check everthing from the wheel bearings to the steering box. You really need to replace anything that is worn out. You really don't want anything to break on you while driving.

I would spend some time and give the whole vehicle a good once over. Take a real close look at every rubber part. It's easier to replace a radiator hose in your dirveway than half way to a riding destination.

Look into getting the AAA RV tow plan. Towing an RV is usually very expensive.

It's an RV not a sports car. I wouldn't expect crisp steering response. However, it is a 1978 vehicle. Things wear out. If you have to constantly turn the wheel to the right and left to keep it in the lane, then it most likely has worn out steering components. Check everthing from the wheel bearings to the steering box. You really need to replace anything that is worn out. You really don't want anything to break on you while driving.

I would spend some time and give the whole vehicle a good once over. Take a real close look at every rubber part. It's easier to replace a radiator hose in your dirveway than half way to a riding destination.

Look into getting the AAA RV tow plan. Towing an RV is usually very expensive.

Cleonard hit a lot of stuff, let me add this-inspect the springs closely, most RV's are barely sprung stiff enough when they are new, and time and wear can make them even softer-they like to wallow side to side like a drunk over time.

Another spot to check is the shocks-it isn't fun when the front end begins pogo-ing at 65. If they are rusted, leaking, or don't stop the bouncing, replace them.

AAA+ RV is the best investment you can make-around $80 per year or so, and the cash hook-up fee alone is more than that, then add mileage charges and it's worth it's weight in gold, and AAA will tow your rig 100 miles for free. That and there are added discounts at hotels, auto parts stores, campgrounds, etc that add up quite fast-my card paid for itself in one trip on hotel discounts alone.

If you really want it to handle alot better, many install air springs to assist on the "wallowing" feeling, I did this to my parents 39' Class A, and it made a huge difference, but the total system was around $1200, but it is a 4 bag, independant system.

I picked up a 1978 Dodge Minnie Whinnie to pull the bikes. It's like driving some crazy car! I'm totally all over the road with this thing. Is this normal with an RV or did I screw up buying this thing? This is the first time I have ever driven one.

how about some pics bro .....:applause::lol:

Thanks for the tips guys.. I will check out AAA for sure. It had a lot of work done to it about 12000 miles ago then it sat for years. New motor courtesy of Jiffy lube, shocks, etc. I put new tires on it when I got it and changed out all the belts and hoses, plug wires, cap/rotor. I jacked it up today and moved the wheels from side to side and that all seemed tight. I'm thinking maybe the steering box has to much play in it. You can move the steering wheel about 5 inches back and forth before the wheels begin to move. Is there an adjustment for that?

Look at the "coupler " in the steering shaft I assume since this is a minnie winnie type it is based on a van chassis and most dodge vans I have ever seen have a "flexed" shaft since they don't have room for a straight shaft. I have seen lots of bad idler arms on dodge vans also.

Get to a good front end shop. Every part of your steering system is probably worn and needs a full front end rebuild.

Check all your sway bar bushings, tie rod ends, and shocks. Look for some KONI shocks:thumbsup: