Sign in to follow this  

question on flyweight

I have the 9oz and waiting for the flyweight puller to get here. For those that have put one on, do you need an impact wrench to take it off?

Camp,

Any chance you could detail the process to replace the FFW for those of us who have never done it before.

ben

Camp,

Any chance you could detail the process to replace the FFW for those of us who have never done it before.

ben

It would be a lot more helpful if I would have taken pics to detail the installation. In a nutshell...

1. Drain the engine oil.

2. Remove the shift lever.

3. Lay the bike on it's right side and remove all the bolts on the left side ignition cover. Pop the side cover with a rubber mallet and remove. If you are lucky and careful you may be able to this without tearing the gasket.

4. Screw the correct FW puller on the end of the crank and remove the FW.

5. Clean the FW with contact cleaner.

6. Bolt the FFW onto the FW. Follow manufacturers instructions.

7. Install FW onto crank and torque to 42ft/lbs. Do not over torque this!

8. Install the ignition cover and and shifter.

9. Fill engine with oil.

The job takes about 45-60 minutes start to finish.

If you decide to do this job, and other service work, on your bike I would suggest buying a Honda Service Manual. It will pay for itself in this first project.

Thanks Camp,

Pictures would be awesome. Too bad you didn't do that when you were doing the job. I'll try to take some when I do it.

I have the service manual for my 450. I'll get one for the 150 soon.

ben

thanks also, got the flyweight puller in today.What about the theory of not draining the oil, that is what steahly says to do so you don't have to change the oil. I was a little leary of dropping crap in the open oil case. They say to just lay the bike on its side and change.

Got any tips on the flywheel puller and pulling the flywheel, never done one before. Is it reverse threads?