Sign in to follow this  

would you buy the DR650SE or DR-Z400S

i know this has been gone over before, but i just want some more input. I am shopping for my first DS bike. I currently have no cycle to ride and this will be it, although i have had both dirt bikes and sport bikes before. I want a bike to ride with my friends on wisconsin atv/bike trails and for rural street riding (not trips). I am 27 years old 6' 2.5" almost 300 pounds which bike is best for me. I should say that our trails are not that tricky and i will be riding with 4x4 utility atv's, so i wont be going really fast. I am also not a real aggresive rider, I believe i would have no problem picking either bike up in the event of an accident, so is the weight that big of a problem. Also as a family man i probally will be riding the bike more on the road and not have but three weekends a year in the dirt. My concerns are if i buy the 400 is it comfortable and if i were to go to the 650 would i regret it on the trail. Price is not an option, also these are the only bikes im interested in. I have a good dealer relationship, which i have found to be key in enjoying anything after the sale. Thanks in advance for you info.

i know this has been gone over before, but i just want some more input. I am shopping for my first DS bike. I currently have no cycle to ride and this will be it, although i have had both dirt bikes and sport bikes before. I want a bike to ride with my friends on wisconsin atv/bike trails and for rural street riding (not trips). I am 27 years old 6' 2.5" almost 300 pounds which bike is best for me. I should say that our trails are not that tricky and i will be riding with 4x4 utility atv's, so i wont be going really fast. I am also not a real aggresive rider, I believe i would have no problem picking either bike up in the event of an accident, so is the weight that big of a problem. Also as a family man i probally will be riding the bike more on the road and not have but three weekends a year in the dirt. My concerns are if i buy the 400 is it comfortable and if i were to go to the 650 would i regret it on the trail. Price is not an option, also these are the only bikes im interested in. I have a good dealer relationship, which i have found to be key in enjoying anything after the sale. Thanks in advance for you info.

In your above senario I think you've quite handily described the DR650SE as your weapon of choice IMO. You'd need to add stiffer shock and fork springs for sure. :applause:

I agree with Rob. The 650 is really fun to ride both on and off road. easy to work on and rock solid. If you really want to do some serious off road riding neither is a good choice. Get a dirt bike. IMO the DR650 is the best dual sport bike in the Jap market.

if you're already worrying that you might regret the DR650 on the trail, you probably will. The DR650 is a bit on the heavy side and the stock suspension is way too soft to be taking offroad with your weight. The DR650 has more of a street bias, and the DRZ more of a dirt bias. At the end of the day it probably all comes down to the rider.

What answer would you expect in a DR650-specific forum populated by DR650 fanatics?

because i am leaning towards the 650 and I wanted to hear what you the owners think. Is the 400 posibly that much better off road and would you notice it much as a trail bike. I know its no dirt bike, im willing to give and take but i do want a good 50 road / 50 trail bike. The trails i refer to are snowmobile trails in the winter, old railroad beds, firelanes, and such. I will never be riding this bike like its a race, i will be riding with my wife and other couples on atv's and a few dirt bikes.

With your stature the 650 will have the torque to get you moving much easier than the 400. Also, the suspension of either bike will not be suited to your weight so optimum off road handling would be had with springs for either bike so that negates any arguements about suspension(the 400 does have more adjustable pieces though). The 650 is the king of the road between the two, as well as being easier to work on and taking a beating better.

With your stature the 650 will have the torque to get you moving much easier than the 400.

Yup I'd go with that,,,

I have had double up on the 650 and did not notice a huge power loss, but my nuz were in the tank a few times !:applause:

The trails i refer to are snowmobile trails in the winter, old railroad beds, firelanes, and such. QUOTE]

You'll like the 650 just fine on these types of trails. With the money you'll save on the sticker of the two bikes you can get springs (front & rear) from Keintech for $230. and a Dynojet kit and still have some left for barkbusters.

HOWEVER, all of that being said, you WILL feel more cramped on the 650

than you will on the 400. The 400 is taller/higher, and there are more

after market goodies for the 400 to allow you to make even more room as well. I have yet to find a way to make more room on my 650, other than

bar risers and different bars. The seat is low and the pegs are high, so I feel

much more cramped on my 650 than I do on my 400... I am 6'2" 185 lbs.

And you will definitely need to re-spring both front and rear... on both bikes.

Regards,

Jim

HOWEVER, all of that being said, you WILL feel more cramped on the 650

than you will on the 400. The 400 is taller/higher, and there are more

after market goodies for the 400 to allow you to make even more room as well. I have yet to find a way to make more room on my 650, other than

bar risers and different bars. The seat is low and the pegs are high, so I feel

much more cramped on my 650 than I do on my 400... I am 6'2" 185 lbs.

And you will definitely need to re-spring both front and rear... on both bikes.

Regards,

Jim

Yes, If you were 5 inches shorter I'd say go DR650. I've had mine for 10yrs and have ridden it interstate on the super slab @ 90mph all day then raced enduros on it. I believe it is the best all purpose bike on the market in terms or real world usability and reliability.

You on the other hand being so tall could look at something larger if you want ie the Honda XRL or even the KTM 640 if you don't mind a less reliable bike.

Not that the Dr650 is not easy to ride, you might find yourself a bit cramped as you gain experience.

At your weight I think you need a 650 class bike. Despite what anyone says the 650 has more power than the 400.

if you're already worrying that you might regret the DR650 on the trail, you probably will. The DR650 is a bit on the heavy side and the stock suspension is way too soft to be taking offroad with your weight. The DR650 has more of a street bias, and the DRZ more of a dirt bias. At the end of the day it probably all comes down to the rider.

I dissagree completely. Considering your weight teh 650 is clearly the advantage, but considering your skill level you will not be able to tell that the 400 is a better off road bike. These things are only better if you are using the features like longer travel suspension and quicker handling. You will not be able to use such under your specified conditions. As was stated before you need to change the springs.

If I had to do it over again, I likely would have bought the 400S for the insurance break and easier to find aftermarket accessories. I'm loving every minute of the 650 but not entirely certain it was the best choice overall.

I work for a suzuki dealer and have spent plenty of time on both 400 and 650. The 4hun is a better dirt bike and the 650 a better street bike.I just took home a shiny black 07 650 tuesday, so there you go.. one more opinion. good luck

I think you should find a dealer that will let you test ride both bikes.

Then buy the 650 :applause:

You said in the first post that by far more hours and miles will be on road compared to the off road. With that in mind all that I've hear personally from local riders and off this forum says that the 650 would be the better bike. Especially since you are promising to be just a cruising tourist when off road.

Having said that I've ridden with a local 650 rider that does just fine with his "big tractor" off road. He's not a nutso rider but he can be quick and go through some tough stuff when he wants to be. Not racing quick but quick from a general off road riding point of view. So the big DR isn't THAT bad an off roader.

And I 13th'ish the suggestion to respring and re-grade the shock oil for your weight. Especially since you'll sort of be in a "motard" like situation on the road much of the time. Do it just for the extra feel that the bike can offer with a tight but agreeable suspension setup.

There's some great street style rubber that fits the DR's wheels that will make a DR or DRZ rail through turns almost the equal of any sportbike. But it requires some suspension tuning to make the tires shine.

And although you say you won't be doing trips I'm sure there's some need to highway for a few miles here and there. Again from all I've read and heard from the local DR and DRZ riders the 650 eats up the odd highway stretch without so much as a burp while the DRZ seems to be strained at around 60 and up mph.