Sign in to follow this  

1.8 Radiator Cap for 04 kx250f too much?

I have been riding really tight trails lately and the bike is just now overheating. I have not had the problem in the past with the trails that I was riding. The dealer sold me a 1.8 cap but I am worried because everyone references the 1.6 cap. Is the 1.8 cap ok or will it cause other problems.

Jay

Any thing more the the stock cap is not good.If you haven't been over heating on the same trails, why wood a cap fix it.I would look more towards a bad cap or a blown head cascket.All a higher cap does is raise the boiling point so more stuff gets messed up.I'd bet it's a blown cascket.you don't have to see steam out the pipe or water in your oil for this to be true.Had the same issue on a buddy's 450.

Isn't the 1.6 stock? 1.8 will just keep it from boiling over as soon as the 1.6. I thought that one of the cooling mods was to use the 1.8 cap.

I've run the 1.8 for the past 1 1/2 without blowing headgaskets or waterpump seals. The 1.8 cap will raise the boiling point, but the bike still has a tendency to overheat and boil over.

the 04 has overheating problems, KXF/RMZ went with larger radiators in 05

I've got an 04, installed fluidyne radiators, boyesen waterpump, 1.8 coolent cap, and a radiator temp strip all from ebay. I still hit 230 degrees when it's above 75 out and I'm on tight single track.

No the stock cap is a 1.1 becuase i just actually looked at mine on my 04' and was thinkin of getting a 1.6 cap for running motocross just to make sure i dont have problems. Pit Posse has 1.6 caps on ebay for pretty cheap i might pick one of those up.

ive never understood y you would change the cap. if you raise the boiling point all that means is that it still overheats but you cant see it. never really made sense.

you should take off the radiator louvers and run some engine ice. maybe even richen it up a little bit.

Have had a 04 for about two years now.Had trouble with it overheating when i first got it so modified the radiators,changing the coolant flow.it was abit of a tricky job but with a tig welder and a selection of hoses i got there hasnt over heated sinice.Still use stock cap with water wetter.

get the boysen impeller and water wetter

find some rads off of an 05 or 06 on ebay and install those if you are having overheating problems

yea that'd be good to find some newer style radiators...their out there if you wait and watch for them

I went to a 1.5 psi, some engine ice in the RAD, and radiaror guards on my 450 crf and havent boiled over since. I AM A TOAD or a TURTLE so I ride SLOW and needed the cooling.

Car radiator caps are MUCH higher PSI. YOU people think 2 mucho.