Sign in to follow this  

Best Mods for '06 S-model?

Okay, I've installed knobbies and barkbusters, what would be the next logical steps for modding to suit my enduro-style riding, particularly how can I get more bottom (end :applause:)?

Skid plate and Case savers and then take the Plunge FCR and full yoshI:p

3x3 and rejet stock carb or go with the FCR if you have the cash. Next for me would be a full exhaust system. I have only done the 3x3 and rejet and will get the FCR in due time. If you do a good bit of off roading I would highly recommend a Tonn's skidplate and TT case savers.

Skid plate and Case savers
+1 on that. Shouldn't hit the dirt until you've got those on the bike.

I'd get rad. guards, case savers, skidplate, 3X3 & rejet, MCCT. After that, if you still have money to feed the need, then get the FCR kit & pipe.

I really like my PIAA super-plasma headlight bulb, & Corbin seat. :applause:

Get rid of the stock bars, stock tail light, kickstand switch, clutch switch, rubber peg inserts.

Install case savers, rad guards, better handlebars.

+1 on the stock bars, just put some pro tapers on and holly sh!t what a difference that made, protect it first, it could look good with that full yosh system but if you have a hole in your case your going to be pist off you went that route first, that's my .002.

14 tooth front and 47-48 tooth rear will definatley put the power where you want it. down low

Okay, I've installed knobbies and barkbusters, what would be the next logical steps for modding to suit my enduro-style riding, particularly how can I get more bottom (end :applause:)?

LOW END: Best bang for your buck is to change the rear sprocket to something like a 48. It should cost you around $20 and is also very simple. (Remember to turn the nuts on the sprocket, not the bolts.) You can do the front sprocket at the same time for $10 more. Try a 14.

A 14/47 sprocket set is the best bang for your buck mod for gaining low end torque. It'll also save your clutch on the trails, because you won't have to be slipping it all the time.

Set your Race Sag, which is free, and will make a HUGE difference in handling.

If it's an S model, cut all this crap off it...

drzweightloss.jpg

Engine Skid. Mine's a White Brothers...

001whitebrothersskid.jpg

Case Guards. TT Store...

bling.jpg

And as someone else mentioned, bars are a good idea, too. I went with CR Hi Bars...

bike03.jpg

:applause:

Thanx everyone for the advice. I have removed just about everything you pictured with the exception of the rad fan. Why remove the fan? Ordered 14/48 sprockets last night and removed the kickstand switch. Also set race sag and static sag, this required a fairly significant adjustment but I ended up at 98mm race sag and 27mm static. I went to the woods after setting the sag and OMG what a difference. Both ends planting much better now. I will order the skidplate and case covers next (it's only money, right?). Excuse my ignorance but I don't know what a 3x3 is. Yes, I could search it if I wasn't so lazy.

P.S. - DRZ400SK4: what's up with that shroud around your instruments, and what is that bracket to the left of the mirror in your pic? BTW, nice pegs.

3x3 is cutting a hole in the top of your airbox and then rejetting the carb.

Why remove the fan?

It's uesless dead-weight, unless you ride in grid-lock traffic in southern cities on a daily basis. The off road only E model has no fan, and uses a small o-ring seal with a metal center ring in the waterneck, in place of the thermostat. If your remove the fan, also remove the t-stat, and install the E waterneck gasket. It's a very inexpensive part.

P.S. - DRZ400SK4: what's up with that shroud around your instruments, and what is that bracket to the left of the mirror in your pic?

Brad...

The bracket to the left of the mirror is the license plate bracket.

The shroud is just the stock S model headlight shroud. It probably just looks a little odd because of the photo angle.

PICT1492.jpg

:applause:

The latest JD kit comes with the proper jets. Better check the size for the elevation you ride in.

Dont forget those radiator guards so you can still make it home after a rough day!

JD