Sign in to follow this  

Another reply from Adam Kline

KTMCHICK,

Where have you run into hikers? Once I am a few miles away from my truck I typically see nobody but other dirt bikers. I am just curious as to where the conflicts are. I would have a real tough time letting someone try to push me down and not getting amped up over it.

Greg

I personally have ran into hikers in several of our riding areas, capital, tanneum, naches, gifford pinchot, lake wenatchee. Most hikers are cordial. The incidents I have been involved in occurred at Gifford Pinchot and the incident my friend was involved in wear the hiker tried to push him off his bike was at Naches. Also, I was photographed without my permission by a hiker at Lake Wenatchee, and when we stopped to ask him what was up he said something about documenting trail use or some BS like that.

As an avid jetskier (boat hater) I'm wondering how I'm supposed to get drunk & ride my standup. No place to carry the beer, maybe a cool backpack but that throws my balance off.

Maybe I'll just get a boat, then I can carry a ton of beer like the rest of the boaters I see out on most water.

As an avid jetskier (boat hater) I'm wondering how I'm supposed to get drunk & ride my standup. No place to carry the beer, maybe a cool backpack but that throws my balance off.

Maybe I'll just get a boat, then I can carry a ton of beer like the rest of the boaters I see out on most water.

Isn't that the truth

I sent my emails to my representatives. I also sent a similar text to Mr. Kline though more strongly worded. Text is below

Senator Fairley,

I'm new to the district so I'm glad I was able to easily locate your site. It's very helpful.

I want to express my concern about the subject legislation. I'm an avid off-road motorcycle enthusiast and while I strongly support noise restriction, this legislation goes too far.

The limits on ATV's should be consistent with the limits on other noise generators. As long as the limits are reasonable and everyone is held to the same standard I'm OK with them.

I found out about this due to a news story on King 5. I was shocked that an elected official, Mr. Kline, would take the stand he did in his letter. I'm a mountain climber too and enjoy all forms of outdoor recreation. Mr. Kline's elitist position reflects poorly on elected officials and climbers alike. He apparently doesn't like people who ride ATV's and intends to get even by using his elected power, shameful.

I appreciate your taking time to consider this and hope that you will remember my feelings when and if the time comes.

Thanks, Mike

I sent my emails to my representatives. I also sent a similar text to Mr. Kline though more strongly worded. Text is below

Senator Fairley,

I'm new to the district so I'm glad I was able to easily locate your site. It's very helpful.

I want to express my concern about the subject legislation. I'm an avid off-road motorcycle enthusiast and while I strongly support noise restriction, this legislation goes too far.

The limits on ATV's should be consistent with the limits on other noise generators. As long as the limits are reasonable and everyone is held to the same standard I'm OK with them.

I found out about this due to a news story on King 5. I was shocked that an elected official, Mr. Kline, would take the stand he did in his letter. I'm a mountain climber too and enjoy all forms of outdoor recreation. Mr. Kline's elitist position reflects poorly on elected officials and climbers alike. He apparently doesn't like people who ride ATV's and intends to get even by using his elected power, shameful.

I appreciate your taking time to consider this and hope that you will remember my feelings when and if the time comes.

Thanks, Mike

Very good Mike, I like your response.:applause:

TONY

Senator Fairley,

Thanks, Mike

Very nicely put Mike.....here is my response to "Senator" Kline :applause:

"(This page contains a list of decibel levels of everything from guitars to jet engines!)

SOUND PRESSURE LEVELS

(in decibels - dB)

(The following is a table of common everyday sounds along with sounds common in music. The red numbers are the sound levels measured in decibels. Wherever possible, I have included the distance at which the sound level is being measured.)

Jet engine - close up

150 Snare drums played hard at 6 inches away

Trumpet peaks at 5 inches away

140 Rock singer screaming in microphone (lips on mic)

Threshold of pain

Pneumatic (jack) hammer Cymbal crash

Planes on airport runway 120

Fender guitar amplifier, full volume at 10 inches away

Power tools 110

Subway (not the sandwich shop) 100

Heavy truck traffic

80 Typical home stereo listening level

Acoustic guitar, played with finger at 1 foot away

Average factory

Busy street

Small orchestra

60 Conversational speech at 1 foot away

Average office noise 50

Quiet conversation 40

Quiet office 30

Quiet living room 20

10 Quiet recording studio

0 Threshold of hearing for healthy youths

Better get your facts straight "Senator" Kline.........

"SB 5544 simply calls for the industry standard 96-decibel limit on the new 2008 models, 108 decibels on the 2007 and older models. It also sets a 55-decibel limit at the property line of any resident, and 45 decibels within 10 feet of a home. These are peoples' homes we're talking about. Having a 45-decibel noise is like a small jet take off from a neighboring airport, or like a train pulling through town. Between that and the industry standard, it's not asking much."

I won't waste too much of my time trying to convince you about your inaccuracies regarding ORV's and snowmobiles.....you have obviously made up your mind about the situation and will continue on your quest, regardless of how many responsible ORV recreationalists point out your uneducated, misinformed statements/rants. I can only say that as an elected official, you are a disgrace to your constituents posting such an inflammatory e-mail without educating yourself about the issues.

As an avid off-road motorcycle and snowmobile enthusiast, I take pride in being a responsible rider. Trail maintenance, picking up any garbage left by others, keeping our machines quiet and properly tuned to lessen the effect on the environment and educating new off-road enthusiasts are all responsibilities that myself and anyone I ride with take very seriously. I have personally seen more damage done to our eco-system from campers, hikers and equestrian people than I have ever seen from the majority of motorcycle or snowmobile enthusiasts, but since we are a minority we make an inviting target for scrutiny?

I would suggest that next time you decide to enjoy the beautiful outdoors of our fine state, you choose to go where ORV's or snowmobiles are NOT allowed.......there are thousands of miles of non-motorized areas where you can enjoy the peace and quiet without interruption. If you come across people riding illegally in THOSE areas, you have every right to be upset.....they are in violation and deserve your disdain. On the other hand, if you CHOOSE to go to one of the relatively few areas where ORV's and snowmobiles are allowed to be operated LEGALLY, don't be surprised to have your serene outdoor experience interrupted by an off-road vehicle......there are so many of us enthusiasts out there with a very limited amount of area to use, so odds are that you will have some sort of interaction with us. I can only hope that the encounter is with one of the many responsible motorsports enthusiasts in this state as opposed to one with one of the "bad apples"......I detest them as much as you obviously do, since they are ruining my sport as much as people like yourself.

As a closing statement, I find it ironic that a former ACLU lawyer would find it acceptable to vent his anger towards a specific group in the manner that you did........that is the true oxymoron. Do American Civil Liberties only apply to the issues that suit you? The last issue I would like to comment on is the stereotype of "obese" off-road enthusiasts....I am 42 years old, sit at a computer terminal the majority of my work day, yet am in excellent physical health and shape; all due to the rigors of off-road riding so any time you decide you would like to come try a motorcycle or snowmobile, feel free to contact me.....I'll be very interested to see how long you last!

Robert S

Registered voter but thankfully, not in your district!

• Like 1

Thanks MX813.......unfortunately I will be out of town on Friday or I'd be heading to Olympia to voice my opinion on this pathetic piece of legislation! Props to all who are able to show unity in our fight against these tyrants.

Got this from Left_Wing_Nut this morning through PM, thought I'd share:

Some distracted points steward said:
HUH? His personal vendetta against ORVs is not a representation of his constituents.

IN YOUR opinion.

IN YOUR opinion, he should represent YOUR OPINION, and not enforce a sound ordinance.

Trouble is, there are different opinions than YOUR OPINION. And, UNFORTUNATELY, there are probably more people out there (both D's and R's) who want peace and quiet in their homes, more than they want to listen to a dirt bike.

I used to work in city government, and every Joe on the sidewalk calls the Mayor, because he has the Silver Bullet answer for every question. Trouble is, Tom, Dick and Harry all called a half an hour earlier, and their opinions are directly opposed to Joe's solution.

Who does the Mayor listen to?

Simply put, EVERY decision that an elected official makes is going to ruffle the feathers of some of his constituency, and appease others.

To stay in office, you have to ensure that the appeased group is always larger than the ruffled group.

To think that an elected official is going to be able to keep his ENTIRE constituency happy is naive.

You may not like how he is "representing" his constituency (I know that I don't), but being in politics, he probably knows that marginalizing the ORV crowd is not going to cost him as much as he may gain by pushing for this.

It is simply "politics", and the game that we are forced to play.

Have a nice day!

LWN

Dude, he hasn't said "Well, I received my emails from my constituents that asked my to sponsor this law", or "I have received many complaints from my constiunecy about this topic". He and Fraser sponsored this bill because they have been attacking us for the past three legislative sessions. Look it up. Don't believe his BS.