Sign in to follow this  

Chains: "stock" vs o-ring vs x-ring

ok, i know the "stock" ones tend to stretch and develop side-side play faster than x or o-ring chains, but what's the difference between x and o-ring?

does one last longer, is one stronger, is one better for desert riding?

and, should i even worry about the difference between x and o on my poor old bike?!?:applause:

ok, i know the "stock" ones tend to stretch and develop side-side play faster than x or o-ring chains, but what's the difference between x and o-ring?

does one last longer, is one stronger, is one better for desert riding?

and, should i even worry about the difference between x and o on my poor old bike?!?:applause:

First off, what poor old bike? You didn't say. Difference between o-ring and x-ring, as I understand it, it the sealing surface. The o-ring has only one point of contact whereas the x-ring has two.

Less pressure is required to maintain an effective seal on an x-ring.

X-Ring.jpg

All factory street legal bikes I've owned have come stock with O ring chains. I have had plenty of off road bikes with non-sealed chains though. The O ring chains last many times longer than non-sealed chains and require less maintence. They are a little heavier and do rob a tiny bit of power.

X-ring chains are just an improved version of O ring chains. They do tend to last a little longer and have slightly less resistance. I commute 20k miles a year on a street bike and got a small, but measurable and statistically significant fuel mileage increase going from o-ring to x-ring.

• Like 1

Yes there is a difference. However the big difference is between ring and non-ring chains. X-ring is a little better than O-ring. The best deal going that I know of is the Rocky Mountain Tusk house brand X-ring chains. I think they have about the best value for the dollar.

Be sure to replace both of you sprockets and get a steel rear. Unless you run in the mud a lot it should last for years.

thanks for your info and experience. i found a pretty good deal on ebay for an x-ring and sprockets.

it is past time to replace my current chain, and i need to get back to stock gearing for some more speed, so i'll be replacing the lot.