Sign in to follow this  

New '06 CRF450R Questions:

I just bought a leftover (new) 06' CRF450R and have a couple questions. I looked at some of the FAQ listed but didn't find all the answers I'm looking for.

1.) Where can I get some quality magnetic drain plugs for this bike? I haven't even ridden it yet (haven't had time) but when I do I'd like to have the magentic plugs catching what they can.

2.) Does the Boyesen accelerator pump, JD Jetting Kit or either of the Power-Now units do much for this bike? I've also got an 06' WR450F and all of them benefited it greatly, but it was corked up to the point it would hardly run and I imagine this CRF isn't. I had an 04' CRF and never felt the need for any motor mods to it. I like the bike to hit hard which is part of why I bought the CRF for the desert instead of a YZF or the 07 CRF, but I'm wondering if any of these mods will make enough difference to justify the extra cost. If nothing else, is there a good jetting setup I should go with here in New Mexico at 6000 feet?

Thanks!

-Sam

i don't use the magnetic drain plug but i did do the a/p mod that posted in the sticky post up top., that is defineately a worthy mod. thanks red beard t/f chills and all the others

Check ebay for the drain plug. probably only 10 bucks or less.

Jet kits do help. definitely good to have. the boyesen AP cover doesn't do much really. Just do the RB Ap mod that is a sticky at the top of the page.

• Like 1

Motor works great stock. Get the suspension done and it will rock.

yeah the boyesen quick shot did nothing on my 06 eather. It worked great on my 450 ktm untill some guy stole it! I found that a after market exhaust is the best bang for you buck with all my 450 hondas. And that AP mod is cake too.

• Like 1

Definitely add the SFB or Powernow Wing in the carb, or the Boyesen version. Yes, they make a diff.

Ditto the QuickShot, even though a lot of people here don't agree. Most of the racers use them as you can't afford to have a bog landing from a jump while chasing one of those priceless plastic trophies.

Don't worry about the suspension until it's broken in (couple hours) and you've ridden the bike enough to know what it needs, AFTER you've done some tuning with the clickers. Read the manual. Lotsa good tuning advice in there.

The CRF doesn't have a drain plug to begin with. The motor oil drains by removing the bolt on the case and the tranny drains by removing an even longer bolt. I've never seen a magnetic bolt for the CRF.

The CRF doesn't have a drain plug to begin with. The motor oil drains by removing the bolt on the case and the tranny drains by removing an even longer bolt. I've never seen a magnetic bolt for the CRF.

I've done some fairly extensive searching, and I haven't found one either...

i got the power now and the boyeseen quickshot for my 06 crf450r both of them do pretty good but the best thing i've bought for my bike has been the ready filter rapid response. smallest piece of metal you'll see but it makes your bike pull hard

I had a power now carb insert for my '05, ran it on the dyno with it installed, then removed it and ran it on the dyno again. It made no appreciable difference in the amount of power or delivery. I took it out and sold it.

I also installed the Boyesen AP cover on my bike, didn't really notice that much of a difference in throttle response either ? I'd maybe put a pipe on it, but suspension work is the way to go IMO.

Have fun with the bike !! :busted:

Wow. What a blast from the past this thread resurrection is. El Marko and Squinch haven't been on here in over a year. I haven't seen TFB around in probably that long either, but I see he last posted yesterday.

They all must have finally learned enough in here to actually go riding....

:busted:

And FWIW, I still have my '06 and still don't have a magnetic drain plug. :thumbsup:

Yeah, you don't need one.

Magnetic plugs are a good idea, but they dont make them for the CRF's.

Pulling the case cover and mounting a neodymium magnet with epoxy inside is a great way to evacuate the steel and iron debris from the oil though.

JD jet kit worked out great for my 06, that's all I did to it out of your list. Thing runs great as is right now for me.

i have a qs2 on my 06 and a quickstart on my 08. id go for the quickstart if i had to pick one or the other. adjustable leak jet and better hotstart set up. the pick up in throtle response isnt much, but they both definatly helped the bike start better.

You may want to pay attention to the age of this thread, it is nearly 3 years old.

It was a newbie move! Thanks for the warning. I was getting ready to fall in.