Sign in to follow this  

decisions about new bike?

I am looking to buy a two stroke KTM. My questions for all the GuRus here are. What is the best all around two stroke KTM. Is it worth it to buy a new 250 or should I look used? What about the 300? I ride and race in the Gran Prix circuit in the desert. So the bike would be well used after a season of this. I am looking for one to get ready for the 08 season. I am allready riding a DR650 in the 07 season. Thanks.

It depends on your size and the type of riding you do. I am 5'9", 165lbs and I ride tight NE enduro trails. I've ridden the 200, 250 and 300. The 200 was the right choice for me. I have never been happier with a bike and I have owned quite a few.

I am 200 lbs and 6ft tall. I ride wide open as long as the terrain allows. In the desert I run around 60 to 70 MPH average sometimes as high as 100 and then in the tight stuff " which I suck at " I run pretty slow. The terrain I am mostly in is long sandy washes and trails lined with grease wood. With a bunch of really long sections of whoops, about 1/2 to 1 mile long. Then a few mountains up and down with a lot of basket ball rocks on the track to provide the spectators with some humor.

Ive had a 300 and now ride a 200. The 200 wont take my fat old butt up the big snady hills in the desert. The 300 would do the hills. Most 250 will do what you need too. If you are racing then a newer one is best. The KTM 2st 03 and newer are red sticker bikes so they are not legal in the summer months in the desert. 02 and older are ok all year. The newer bikes from 04 up have better susp, and the 07 are better yet. It depends on your money and commitment I guess.