Sign in to follow this  

06' sxf250 starting problems

First off I'd like to say hello I'm a newbie to the site , but not a newbie to riding , or fixing bikes. I just bought an 06' sxf250 , and I kick the bike around 60times , then let it sit for ten minutes and it fires on one kick. The bike is a used race bike. I've been riding nothing but honda cr250's for years got on my buddies ktm 250sxf and feel inlove (when they run.) I checked the valves they are within clearance , checked the carb. it's clean , bought a new plug doesn't change almost every time 61 kicks my leg and brain are tired. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated thanks, Ben

Check out the fuel screw and the usual carb stuff.

If the bike is second hand and engine hours unknown take off the head cover and turn the motor over to line up the cams and lock the motor at the bottom using the bolt. Check that the cams are "inline" If they are out a lot (I do not mean that they were assembled wrong and one tooth out) the cam chain is worn and that will make them near impossible to start but when going no problem. Had this happen on a couple of them now.

another thought is the spark plug cap. It fails at times and causes very indifferent starting

I checked the cams they are inline , and the timing chain also on mark. I went and bought a new racing plug , and in 1 kick the bike started.I ran it for awhile and missed neutral and the bike stahled. I kicked it once again about 60 times found a hill , and caught the bike in gear started right up , went home cleaned the plug and it fired once again on one kick. It continues to need me to clean the plug before it wants to start. I'm probably just going to buy a new spark plug cap , and change out the jetts thanks again guys , Ben

i have the same problem and same bike. i only have problems when i stall it it takes heaps to start if i turn it of with the kill switch it starts easy the first kick, but if i stall it takes about 20. but i have found not using the hot start and smooth kicking not trying to snap the starter usually does it, im still working it out. and the bike has just been fully rebuilt so no mechanical problems at all just a different bike to the jap crap i gues its quality not quantity

I agree with what every one else is saying but start out simple before you start tearing it all apart. How old is the gas? Make sure you have good gas, pull the choke and crack the throttle a couple times then kick it. If it doesnt start after a few kicks then start checking elsewhere.

Be sure you check the valves the right way. If you are off just a little the bike will not start. You will have problems like that for 3 reasons,

1. Valves

2. Bad CDI

3. Rich mix and you are flooding the bike. Check your float level

i think i have cracked it when ur trying to kick the bike slowly build up the compression till it gets really hard then pop it and the motor kicks over 2-3 turns usually starting and if it doesnt start then open the throttle a couple times.

goodluck

First off I'd like to say hello I'm a newbie to the site , but not a newbie to riding , or fixing bikes. I just bought an 06' sxf250 , and I kick the bike around 60times , then let it sit for ten minutes and it fires on one kick. The bike is a used race bike. I've been riding nothing but honda cr250's for years got on my buddies ktm 250sxf and feel inlove (when they run.) I checked the valves they are within clearance , checked the carb. it's clean , bought a new plug doesn't change almost every time 61 kicks my leg and brain are tired. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated thanks, Ben

Ben and ye84by,

The early 2006 KTM 250SXF's did not have leak jet float bowls, and the later ones have a PLUG in the leak jet location. If you're stalling and having hard starting, or even hard starting when cold, try getting a leak jet in your float bowl or install a leak jet float bowl. With good jetting and the leak jet, your problems will be greatly reduced or solved.

We have leak jets, replacement float bowls, and adjustable pump covers available for your bike.

Thanks,

James

Leak jet float bowl is shown below--

medium.jpg

Ben and ye84by,

The early 2006 KTM 250SXF's did not have leak jet float bowls, and the later ones have a PLUG in the leak jet location. If you're stalling and having hard starting, or even hard starting when cold, try getting a leak jet in your float bowl or install a leak jet float bowl. With good jetting and the leak jet, your problems will be greatly reduced or solved.

We have leak jets, replacement float bowls, and adjustable pump covers available for your bike.

Thanks,

James

Leak jet float bowl is shown below--

medium.jpg

James,

i am new here as well and have been having way too much trouble kicking over the wifes 2006 250 SX F. It has only started 1 time. The bike is new from a local dealer. I have a 2007 and it starts fine??? I am strongly considering selling it for a loss and getting the RM 2007!

HELP..............

found out the problem was the jeeting and the needle were still set up for the akropovic pipe that the old owner had on it got it fixed and the bike runs great and starts all the time 1st or second kick, cant belaive how much different and better the bike runs and starts..

Ben I would say its jetting. I have came across a few 06 250f's that would act just like yours and it was all jetting. I would start with the pilot screw and pilot jet. When you get it to run set you idle at about 1600 rpm. You can make your jetting very simple by getting a JD jetting kit $75 + shipping with TT's Parts Store. Another recomendation is the R&D power pump (adjustable leak jet system).

It is the pilot jet, ktm mechanic at a gncc race said the bikes from the factory tends to load the motor down when you stall it. He told me go down on the pilot jet. He said it helps in every case and he said if you do change it and it doesn't help then go down some more by the way nice information james!

Check the spark electrodes gap. It shall be .6 according to manual. I have NGK and it came with .85 gap. After reducing to normal I have rvived my KTM completely.