College and MX?

Well right now I'm in 11th grade and am supporting my own riding. But I have just been thinking... what have you guys done when you went to college. Or maybe I can get some input on people in college. I want to continure riding but I do not know how once i get to college. I am trying to go as far away as possible from here ( philadelphia area). The reason being is my parents are just getting to the point where I cannot stand them anymore. The only thing I ever hear out of their mouths is when they put me down and their not supportive in anything i do. But as far as riding/racing goes, how do you guys in college do it? Where would I keep my bike at and my trailer thats safe, because I am not going to be able to keep my bike at college due to the dorms. But I can't even think of letting off of riding for the 4 years that I am away. I want to continue to ride for as long as I can and especially while I am young. What did you guys do? Do you have any suggestions? Keeping my bike at my parents is out of the question because I'm thinking of going to a different state far away from here. I also want to go to a state thats good for riding and that has tracks close to the college. Thanks.

Well, I personally still live at home and go to college. So I could not tell you what it is like travel wise. But as far as still having time to ride. Yes, I ride more now than I did in high school. I made my class schedule so I have no school Tuesday/Thursday, perfect moto days. What I would do in your situation, get a storage unit...perhaps a small/cheap one and keep the bike there....just dont give up riding because of school, try to balance both :applause:

You could still pull off riding in college. You just won't be able to pull off paying for a bike and racing. So my advice to you is get a bike paid off right before college and take really good care of it. You'll be broke in college and unless your parents pay for all your riding it'll be tough but it sounds like they don't. Your best bet is to sign up for college early get a tues/thurs or M/W/F schedule for classes then ride on your off days. You have to look at how you are going to haul your bike also. Some colleges don't let freshman have cars (ex. Illinois State) but then again many do allow it.

I was actually thinking of converting a sprinter into a toy hauler or something, but then again how cool will I look driving that? lol, nah but it doesn't matter as long as I am riding. I think I am definetly going to go back to a 2 stroke and just hook it up instead of the costly 4 strokes!

if you could get into u of d (dont know what your going for so i cant tell you if they have a course) there is a few tracks in delaware, im also in 11th, we have three, and deleware is a small state, so the tracks arent too far of a drive, the nearest to u of d is blue diamond, pretty decent track, but its just a suggestion, and i wouldnt want to keep my bike in philly :applause: , but thats just me, hope it works out for you,

Go to a community college for the first two years they are cheap. Don't get a storage unit, they cost $$$. Find your self an apartment or condo for rent, then find a room mate or two, or look for somebody renting a room. It is a little more than a dorm, but at least it's not as crowded, and there would be a home for your bike.

For my self I work full time, go to school almost full time and ride almost every weekend.

yo 250 nasty you ride blue diamond a lot? I usually go there like once every other week or so, its a pretty sweet track, I like the dirt minus the rocks. And also as far as U of D goes i have a couple friends who go there but I am not sure if my grades are good enough, I have a 3.0 gpa. Im looking into U of pitt but I dont know if i coul get accepted there, also Im looking into West Virginia and Temple. But as far as community college goes, I would rather just go to a pretty good school right off the bat. Dont take it the wrong way, But I'd rather go to a name school than a community college, plus I want to get away from my town. Its full of cocky kids who think there the shit and think they know everything about everyone. They all like to talk and gossip about everyone, it seems nobody worries about therselves there too worried about other people minus a few, plus I think I am the only one in my town who actually races/rides everyone else just rides there quad in their backyard and the streets.

Whatever you do, dont lose focus on college. College is your best chance ticket (on avergae) to makign sure in the future you can ride more often and have the funding to buy the bike you want. If riding sufferes for a few years so be it. Go to the best college you can afford.

yo 250 nasty you ride blue diamond a lot? I usually go there like once every other week or so, its a pretty sweet track, I like the dirt minus the rocks. And also as far as U of D goes i have a couple friends who go there but I am not sure if my grades are good enough, I have a 3.0 gpa. Im looking into U of pitt but I dont know if i coul get accepted there, also Im looking into West Virginia and Temple. But as far as community college goes, I would rather just go to a pretty good school right off the bat. Dont take it the wrong way, But I'd rather go to a name school than a community college, plus I want to get away from my town. Its full of cocky kids who think there the shit and think they know everything about everyone. They all like to talk and gossip about everyone, it seems nobody worries about therselves there too worried about other people minus a few, plus I think I am the only one in my town who actually races/rides everyone else just rides there quad in their backyard and the streets.

i ride there a good amount of time, what kind of subject are you going into,??? cause if you want to go to a tech school del tech is pretty good, im going there for two years (cause i can go there for free for two years) before transfering my credits to another college.

I was thinking of going into the fied of business. My dream job is opening up a big shop with a track and have a pretty big race team. I really want to do something along the lines of mx, then Ill never dread going to work. That would be sick!

well as from a business major (mba) myself i can say without a dought go to a community college first and then transfer out to a high end school (im going to the university of redlands school of business)... in only paying a grand a semester at most when the same classes are over 14k a semester... so you'll save money that way.. second i would either find a apt. or a room to rent (place for your bike). and lastely sign up early in as soon as classes are open for registering and create your own schedule.. i work full time. go to school full time and i still ride 3 times a week. although im in cali and i have three tracks 20 mins from my house.

did you have a school in mind?

I really want to go to University of Pitt but from what I hear that school is very difficult to get into, and with my 3.0 gpa chances are unlikely, Im also lookijng at West Virginia, maybe something in NC so i can ride year round, or join a snowboard team in a school in vermont, but that means less riding. Also I'm looking into Temple and maybe pennstate.

I quit riding while in college but it was only for 2 years so it wasn't that bad. I just wanted to focus all of my attention on my studies and, all in all, it worked out very well.

Just be careful with where you leave your bike, etc. How bad would it suck to move out of state and have your bike stolen while in class? :eek:?:applause:

Best of luck.?

Don't stay in the dorms if you want to have a bike. It would be cheaper to rent a town house or an appt with some other people. All the dorms are good for is for getting laid.. I mean uhhhh, get an apartment lol

lol. thats why you get an apartment within walking distance of the dorms, cause then the ladies.... um i mean then you can walk to school and save money on gas. oh yeah it is way cheap to split an apartment with someone, and you will have alot more room for the ladies... opps there i go.

Remember you can skip on the cable and other luxeries. Personally i think if you thought about joining the military, or national guard, you may like those options, as then school $$ would be helped by uncle sam.

I know sometimes it seems like your parents really fight your every move, but they really can be your greatest assets. Try to work with them, not against them (trust me, I don't have a good family life, either). I live at home, go to a state school full time (12 credit hours, straight A's), and work 40+ hours a week. Three bikes, a 2006 R6, '04 Silverado, and some misc. student loans that'll be paid off within the year, and I race every weekend. A lot of it depends on how bad you want to be able to ride and get the things you want, all about priorities.

I have to sacrafice anything resembling a social life and live at home, and most often I don't get enough sleep, but that's the sacrafice I make to get to do what I love every week.

Since your priority is to get away from your parents and ride, the best thing to do would be to buy a slightly older cargo van (2000 model year or so Chevy 1/2 ton Expresses I have good personal experience with), go to a school (keeping in mind that an out of state or private school is going to cost quite a bit), and live in an apartment. Your garage will be the van, keeps it locked and dry. If you're worried about looking like an idiot, then your motivation isn't where it needs to be to do this.

Take a conservative workload at school and work your ass off in both school and earning some income. Depending on how bad of a relationship you have with your parents, you will need income to get approved for an apartment and any loans you'll need if they won't cosign for you. It'll be tough, but it can be done.

You can make it work, all it takes is a lot of work. Hope this helps a little bit :applause:

im going to UCONN next year. i was excepted to one of the regional campuses (stamford, ct) but i am trying to get transferred to the main campus in storrs, ct. if i go to stamford, i will live at home and commute but if i go to storrs, i will live there. either way, i still plan on riding as much as i can but i understand it will be tough with school.

my advice for you would to find out what college you want to go to first. then once youve decide looka round nearby for any motorcycle shops that you can work at. this way you can have the perks of lower costing parts. this will keep riding costs down. if you really wana get into the business i suggest you look for apprenticeship. this will get you into the business.

i know what you are talking about i was think about how i was going to do the same, since i am also in 11th grade. but yes, i started working at my local motorcycle shop and i actually never dread going to work. i love it. we get a pretty good discount on parts. i am planning on going to my local community college to help costs down and allow me to race. as others suggested i am also going to ge a place with some friends to keep my cost of living down.

You should live off campus either way... believe me Dorms are a pain in the butt, its cheaper, easier and more fun to get an apartment... even if you have to just get matched with 3 random guys. And it'd be possible to keep your bike there at your place.