Sign in to follow this  

2007 piston change

How many hours do you go before you change the piston on your 2007. I was thinking around 30. I know 4 people that have cracked their piston in half on the 06. It seems to crack right across the top of the wrist pin. All bikes probably had more than 30 hours on them but all were well maintained.

Thanks

how hard is a topend to do yourself? Also, WHat do you replace? the piston valves gaskets, rings, circlips, and valve springs? Also about how much does it cost? Do they sell any kits that has everything you need for a discounted price?

my maintanence chart says to change the piston.rings. (Maybe Cylinder if its scorn) at around 60-70 hours...some times the oem pistons will last more than that...but if anything happens b4 the Scheduled change, then i change it obviously....

i like to do my own repair's....for me doing the top end isnt that hard at all...it just takes expierence and knowledge of how things work....usually the valve train won't last by the time u do ur first top end...(unless something happens)....i usually reshim once...maybe twice (more likely once)...then do a complete top end repair....for Four Strokes it's pretty costly to maintain these bikes...i remeber the doing a top end on a 2 stroke would only set me back around 150+...for four strokes...The complete valve train..OEM ones, would set u back around 4something...includes OEM valve stems, oil seals, spring seats, lock sets, retainers, springs, shim, lifters, guides (sometimes).....but sometimes u can get away with just buying the stems, springs, lock sets, and seal.....then i get the valve seats recut....or else the new valves won't last as long....then the piston kit....

Don't forget to change the timing chain when you do a top end too! Intervals really depend on the rider and care the bike gets. We went 80+ hours on an '06 last year with no problems, but oil was changed daily and everything watched closely.