Sign in to follow this  

oil check

I just got back from my first ride on my 01 xr400 up at gorman here in ca. I checked my oil level and it won't even stick. It was fine before I started and my bro didn't notice much smoke while we rode for the seven hours. Per the manual I start the bike then let it idle for about five minutes, turn it off, unscrew the stick, wipe it and replace not threading it in, then pull and check. Am I doing this right or what? The bike ran great with no loss of power. I could use some help before I miss another ride trouble shooting the problem myself. Thanks.

Welcome to TT.

No matter what the manual says it is wrong. You need to turn the gearbox to pump oil up to the reservoir, so in other words you need to ride it around then immediately check the oil. Or you can do like I do, change the oil, put in 2qts go ride 2 day trips and change to oil again and never check it. It may sound bad but I know it will only burn a few oz of oil over that period and does not leak.

P.S. There is a “Search this Forum” tool that will provide access to all the topics discussed over the last few years. Most questions have been answered many times.

You also need to check the oil level immediately after shutting off the engine. This is the only way that the dipstick makes any sense. Although I'm the same as lucky logger6, just add two quarts every time you change oil, change it every 2nd or 3rd ride, and you should be good.