Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 Crank Changes - Model Year

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 2002 and 2003(5) YZ250 cranks? I need one for my '05 and have access to a brand new '02.

They have different part numbers but are they interchangable? The main bearings are the same and the wrist pin.

Thanks.

They would not be interchangeable. The taper and diameter where the flywheel bolts on is 2mm larger on the 2003 and newer bikes.

They would not be interchangeable. The taper and diameter where the flywheel bolts on is 2mm larger on the 2003 and newer bikes.

Unless you replace the flywheel?

I thought about that, but I wondered if the ignition changed.

Can't understand why they would change the ignition, or even if they did. The taper on the flywheel hole and the Diameter o.k. This was apperently changed for so called "reliability" ?? Maybe they bent a few with the hammer.

Outer flywheel Diameter is the same, i have'nt checked yet but I would presume the ignition pickup is the same.:applause:

Just checked the part numbers, same part number for the 01 and 05 ignition, there is a change for 06.

If you were going to put a heavier FW in you might save a bit.

BRM, good point on the flywheel. Finding a used one would be no problem. They always scare me with different part numbers.

Lots of times they change the shape of parts for fun. Can anyone give one decent reason for something like the front numberplate design change between 05 and 06? I know they are totally different, but I cannot think of a reason why. They could have achieved a different look using the same mounts as before.