Sign in to follow this  

Any one add 2st oil to 4st gas?

Ever since I had my 05 yz450 ive been putting about 5% castrol 2t 2 stroke oil in my 5 gal jug of gas, helps keep the top end lubed, High test seems to leave the valve seats dry, and will make em a little noisy, with a little 2t lube every thing is smooth and quiet, fuel isnt the quality they say it is.:applause:

Thats weird I've run hi-test about 5 times and never noticed any increased valvetrain noise :applause:

Have you ever run that YZ 450f w/ just straight premium? They are a very noisy engine ya know! And how do you know the valve seats were dryer? Did you pull the head and have the seats analyized? Im not trying to be an ass, but my enquiring mind wants to know :lol: Maybe the bike was running like that because the hi-test leans out the mixture and makes the engine run a little hotter.

I've personally never run 2 stroke oil in my gas, but I've read that some of the Honda guys do in their CRFs and they claim it helps with the valve wear. That actually makes sense because the oil would cushion seat when the valve closes. I've also read that some run marvel mystery oil in their gas too.

I take that back I've put 40:1 from my weed eater into the lawnmower :lol: I'm surprised it even ran.

You've given me some food for thought.

The reason I say that about the valves being dry is because the guy I bought the 450 from owns his own very nice track and races in the A class about 2 hours from my house were local races are held, he 's the one who turned me on to it, he had tore the topend down several times and just said it was better on the valves. I have actually noticed from where I rode my 230 for about a month before trying it when i had what I thought to be some valve noise, after checking the clearences and found they were perfect, the oil in fuel seemed to quiet it down, I dont know maybe its my imagination, who knows?:applause:

The reason I say that about the valves being dry is because the guy I bought the 450 from owns his own very nice track and races in the A class about 2 hours from my house were local races are held, he 's the one who turned me on to it, he had tore the topend down several times and just said it was better on the valves. I have actually noticed from where I rode my 230 for about a month before trying it when i had what I thought to be some valve noise, after checking the clearences and found they were perfect, the oil in fuel seemed to quiet it down, I dont know maybe its my imagination, who knows?:applause:

wouldnt the only valve it would help be the intake because everthing is close after intake until the exhaust stroke and by then its all burned? :lol:

wouldnt the only valve it would help be the intake because everthing is close after intake until the exhaust stroke and by then its all burned? :applause:

Thats just it the oil cushions the intakes when the close right before compression. Usually its the intake valves that tighten up (not so on my TT-R). The exhausts realize no benefit from the oil.

alot of piston designs that are 2 compression rings benefit from this. But in small ammounts. I run100:1 in my crf150. And it really does help smooth out the valvetrain noise.and it does seem like it gives alittle more response. And you get the smell. I think I run my trail bike way too hard like a race bike though. But like I said, it's a 2 compression ring design. My tew sence

Three year old thread resurrection, I like it!

I will put premix in the 4 strokes without worry especially if we're in the middle of nowhere and someone runs out of straight gas. And, gulp, the premix is 32:1.