Sign in to follow this  

consumer reports.

i noticed something very interesting. they had a map that showed what countries cars were built in. they showed 60 cars on this list. none of the american brands built their cars in the us. yet almost all the japanese and european cars were built in the us. i guess what im trying to says is if you want to support american workers you have to buy foreign. it seems kinda weird.

i noticed something very interesting. they had a map that showed what countries cars were built in. they showed 60 cars on this list. none of the american brands built their cars in the us. yet almost all the japanese and european cars were built in the us. i guess what im trying to says is if you want to support american workers you have to buy foreign. it seems kinda weird.

NONE of the american cars were built here? :applause: typical CR bullshit.

GM builds a few cars in canada (and of course their foreign brands like holden and Opel are built in their home countrys) but the vast majority of GM cars and trucks are built in the US. Pretty sure Ford has a similar story. If CR really said they're all built overseas then they flat out lied, but then that doesnt suprise me.

they were all built in canada and mexico with the exception of the chevy aveo which is built in korea

then CR is full of shit.

The malibu is built in kansas, the colorado/canyon is built in louisiana, the corvette and caddy XLR are built in Kentucky, Silverado/sierra's are built in Pontiac and flint michigan, Saturns are mostly built in Springhill Tennessee, the big caddy cars are built in Detroit, the minivans and crossovers are built in Georgia.

The only vehicles I can think of built outside the US are the impala/montecarlo (canada) the Aveo (Korea) The Chevy HHR (mexico) the Pontiac GTO (Australia for now, will be made in the US in 2008) and a small percentage of the half ton pickups (canada and mexico)

I've toured MANY of these plants over the years... several of them multiple times. CR is pulling shit out of thier ass.

then CR is full of shit.

The malibu is built in kansas, the colorado/canyon is built in louisiana, the corvette and caddy XLR are built in Kentucky, Silverado/sierra's are built in Pontiac and flint michigan, Saturns are mostly built in Springhill Tennessee, the big caddy cars are built in Detroit, the minivans and crossovers are built in Georgia.

The only vehicles I can think of built outside the US are the impala/montecarlo (canada) the Aveo (Korea) The Chevy HHR (mexico) the Pontiac GTO (Australia for now, will be made in the US in 2008) and a small percentage of the half ton pickups (canada and mexico)

I've toured MANY of these plants over the years... several of them multiple times. CR is pulling shit out of thier ass.

I don't think I would believe much CR says. They are quite biased for Japanese brands. Now I wouldn't call a Toyota built up the road foreign any more than my Dodge assembled in Mexico with most all US parts.

I don't think I would believe much CR says. They are quite biased for Japanese brands.

Yeah, thats no secret. I'm alittle suprised they've gone as far as just flat out making stuff up.

However I havent seen the magazine, so we're really kinda takin the OP's word for it that this article says what he claims.

If anybody wants to scan the article I'd love to see it... certainly wont be giving CR any of my hard earned american dollars though.

My 01 Silverado was built in Canada. Fact!

yep, and mine was built in pontiac michigan.

Around 20% of GM half tons are built in the canada plant (mostly extended cabs), the rest are built in michigan. All the HD's are built in michigan.

Yeah, thats no secret. I'm alittle suprised they've gone as far as just flat out making stuff up.

However I havent seen the magazine, so we're really kinda takin the OP's word for it that this article says what he claims.

if they only show 60 cars, i'm guessing they showed all the american built ones by japanese based companies and all the foreign built ones by the detroit mfrs (and the germans at chrysler), probably to prove a point that everyone manufactures everywhere.

in 45 years i have found CR to be extremely reliable for most stuff. with cars/trucks, you have to keep in mind that they usually approach it more from the standpoint i do, that value and reliability are more important than towing capacity. since detroit cars have typically had poor reliability, this causes some hardline detroit traditionalists to claim 'bias' or something. truth is they're just biased against cars that suck.

a real auto enthusiast shouldn't really pay too much heed to what they say (although the reliability records are handy), but for us folks that aren't car geeks, they're pretty handy. i know i can pretty safely ignore their mountain bike reviews, cuz i'm much more serious about bicycles than their target audience.

Yeah I didnt catch the number 60 until you pointed it out... GM builds more than 60 cars, if they only showed 60 total thats nowhere near all of the american cars.

That explains what angle they were tryin to spin... they just picked the few cars here and there that are made outside the US (like the aveo or HHR) and highlighted them, ignoring the majority of american brand cars that are made in the US to.

As for CR being unbiased... :lol::eek: Hell this story alone shows the kind of spin storys they publish. Any data can be twisted to show whatever result you want to show. Wanna "prove" american brands are all made in mexico? Just highlight the 3 or 4 models that are and conveniantly forget to mention the 40 or 50 models that arent. :applause:

As for CR being unbiased... :lol::eek: Hell this story alone shows the kind of spin storys they publish. Any data can be twisted to show whatever result you want to show. Wanna "prove" american brands are all made in mexico? Just highlight the 3 or 4 models that are and conveniantly forget to mention the 40 or 50 models that arent. :applause:

oh, you read the story then? can you scan it in or something? i'm kinda curious just what point they were trying to make.

oh, no, wait. you didn't read it? you're talking out your ass? ok. got it. must be a biased magazine. lololololol. ow.

I'm sure CR's statement was completely accurate within the context it was made. They have been sued (unsucessfully) too many times to be that sloppy.

CR does have a small car, high milage bias in my opinon. Their politics runs clearly to the left.......as in pro gov intervention in everything including higher CAFE standards.

I remember a few years ago they elvaluated the Suburban and CR made the wise crack "you better own a refinery if you drive this vehicle." (of course the milege is lower) To me it just showed their biases.......they much rather I haul my family around in a minivan and ditch my offroad motorcycle riding habits.

CR is stupid in my opinion NOT to be doing 3/4 ton truck evaluations, especially the diesels. They treat this segment like it does not exist.

nope, havent read it..

that won't stop you from commenting on it tho huh?

go read it. shallow, but factual. i'm not sure why they wouldn't include all the models the us makers build in the us in their chart. maybe it would take up too much room. you'll probably see that as bias. and if my screen name were toyota_sissy_boy you'd probably see that as bias too. at least you'd be right on that one.

i notice they also don't have a list of all the japanese-brand cars built in japan, so maybe they're just pointing out the ones that aren't totally obvious. a reasonable person would assume that all american cars not listed are built in america, and all japanese-brand cars not listed are built in japan, but i agree that to the intellectually challenged the chart could be misleading.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/which-companies-make-the-best-cars/what-is-an-american-car/0407best_glo.htm?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=1&searchTerm=american%20car#usabot

that won't stop you from commenting on it tho huh?

go read it. shallow, but factual. i'm not sure why they wouldn't include all the models the us makers build in the us in their chart. maybe it would take up too much room. you'll probably see that as bias. and if my screen name were toyota_sissy_boy you'd probably see that as bias too. at least you'd be right on that one.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/which-companies-make-the-best-cars/what-is-an-american-car/0407best_glo.htm?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=1&searchTerm=american%20car#usabot

Nope it wont stop me from commenting, because its just innaccurate to say that all american brands are built outside the US.

Take a look at that list for a moment... the list that shows (MAYBE) 1/3 of GM's models... all of the ones that are built outside the US (and many of those fail to mention that its only a small percentage built outside the US... the so called "mexican" silverado for example is built FOR mexico, never shipped to the US) Then they completely leave off the 2/3's of the GM lineup that IS built here. You really cant see the bias in that? :applause:

Once again, the data itself is accurate, they just left out what didnt fit the agenda they were trying to push. Convenient.

Once again, the data itself is accurate, they just left out what didnt fit the agenda they were trying to push. Conveniant.

i agree that the data is accurate but incomplete, but i'm not biased like you so i don't think there's any particular 'agenda' being pushed. who would it convince? only a complete retard would think there were actually no american brand vehicles being built in america. your 'agenda' claim makes zero sense except to a tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorist.

i agree that the data is accurate but incomplete, but i'm not biased like you so i don't think there's any particular 'agenda' being pushed. who would it convince? only a complete retard would think there were actually no american brand vehicles being built in america. your 'agenda' claim makes zero sense except to a tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorist.

Exactly... The type that subscribe to and read CR.

Most of us are too smart to blindly believe their BS without checking it out... but many folks arent.

Exactly... The type that subscribe to and read CR.

Most of us are too smart to blindly believe their BS without checking it out... but many folks arent.

well, there you go. how's that tinfoil hat fit? lol. maybe i should have said "what kind of retard would think that if they had an agenda to lie about where cars are produced they'd try to use that article as vehicle for said agenda"

i find it funny that you are so biased, and you are so sure that anyone that publishes easily proven facts which disagree with your biased agenda must have some ulterior motive, like the truth or something.

Damn velo, you work for CR or something? You sure seem to take offense at them being called out for being biased and agenda driven.

You keep insisting that nobody is gonna believe when CR says theres no american cars built in the US anymore.... but is that not exactly what the OP believed before I proved otherwise.

Theres a HUGE percentage of the general public that will believe anything they see in print. Thats why media bias is such a powerful tool.

You keep insisting that nobody is gonna believe when CR says theres no american cars built in the US anymore....

lol, that's not what i said, but out of consideration for the OP, i won't get into details...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/which-companies-make-the-best-cars/overview/0407_best_cars.htm

here's another biased article to advance their agenda.

i don't work for them, i just think you calling them 'biased' is based in your ignorance and not in facts. and just like normal, when people say stuff that is not factually supportable, i tend to say something about it.