Sign in to follow this  

cycle world smr

The new Cycle World has a good review about the new smr450, makes me want to buy one. Top speed 106, glade my te don't go that fast.

The new Cycle World has a good review about the new smr450, makes me want to buy one. Top speed 106, glade my te don't go that fast.

106? My 510 topped at 97 the other day.... I am going to do another test soor to see how it fairs now. I just removed the baffle, throttle stop and accelerator pump cap.

interesting it says measured top speed 106. my gps shows I've hit over 80 on my te 450 & I've never held it wide open for very long.

I have a bone stock SM510 with crappy gearing and all... super torqey... But I would be pretty pissed if a 450 passed me on the top end pinned out. I doubt the results.

Not that it makes any difference but, did anyone else notice the photos of the testers riding the bike,it appeared to be a 2006 model(grey tank,silver wheels etc) and the still photos looked like the 2007(black tank,wheels) like I said not that it makes any difference they still liked the bike. interesting though.

There is quite a bit of difference in top speed related to rolling resistance between a sport bike tire and a knobby. Put street tires on if you want to record top speed

06 TC 510 and 07 TC 450, knobbies, stone stock except for PN and PN+ and red Scary Fast, 15/44 gearing. 100 mph on roadway. Glad that is a good article. Will pick it up next week.:lol::applause:

My '06 smr510 hit 96 mph, and that was pushing it hard laying helmet on tank, level road, no wind, I doubt they hit 106 on a 450, unless they had a 3ft tall 50# test rider, but they would still run out of gear before 100. And the pics of the road test are of an '06, the spec sheet is a pic of an '07. Mike

My '06 smr510 hit 96 mph, and that was pushing it hard laying helmet on tank, level road, no wind, I doubt they hit 106 on a 450, unless they had a 3ft tall 50# test rider, but they would still run out of gear before 100. And the pics of the road test are of an '06, the spec sheet is a pic of an '07. Mike

Keep in mind the SMR is geared way tall. I think stock is 15/44-42 (Lil help you SMR guys). My 510 clocked in @ 103 at Adelanto last year with 16/45. (no radar this year :applause: ) The 450 revs a little bit higher too........ so with enough room 106 should be do-able.

Keep in mind the SMR is geared way tall. I think stock is 15/44-42 (Lil help you SMR guys). My 510 clocked in @ 103 at Adelanto last year with 16/45. (no radar this year :applause: ) The 450 revs a little bit higher too........ so with enough room 106 should be do-able.

Assuming the bike has a tach - what did it read about 100 mph?

Assuming the bike has a tach - what did it read about 100 mph?

Didn't see. I didn't even know I went that fast until after and heard they had called out my name & # as 5th fastest. For sure that was tapped.

According to my gearing calculator, running my 14/38 gearing, I need pull around 8,500 rpm in 6th to break the 100 mph barrier. It's doable, but with stock gearing I agree you'll run out of gear before that point....