Sign in to follow this  

XT550 valve cover

Hi, again I have an 82 XT550 and was wondering if the valve cover can be removed without taking the engine out of the frame? Thanks

HY,BALDY IT SHOULD COME OUT WITH NO PROB YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE TOP MOUNTS OFF.IN THE WORST CASE TAKE THE FRONT MOUNT OFF AND LOOSIN THE PIVIT BOLT AND PUSH THE MOTOR FOWARD AND YOU CAN GET A COUPLE MOOR IN OUT OF IT. IM IN THE PROCESS OF PUTTING MY 82 XT 550 BACK TOGETHER WAITING 4 MY TANK TO GET BACK FROM PAINT SHOP AND NEW FRONT FENDER FROM WWW.YAMAHASPORTSPLAZA.COM SOON AS IT DONE I WILL POST SOME PICS.

are you replacing the valve cover?? mine has a crack in it and i think it is pretty common, if so you need the get the whole head as it is line bored with the cover. i have seen just the cover for sale on ebay without the head (i could be a little off, but thats what they told me at the shop and it appears that they are on target)

My cover is not cracked. I just replaced the head gasket and other things because it was leaking and had to remove the engine to do the work. Now it's back together and running but I need to re-torque the head bolts and did not want to remove the engine again to do that.

Whoever told you you needed to get the head and cover as a complete set is correct. However being the cheap guy I am with no $$$ I have run numerous bikes with mismatched cam covers and caps and ran them for years without problems. Just throwing another option at ya. Good luck

If you remove the carbs you can slide the valve cover toward the back of the bike and out. I believe it's too tight to come out of there any other way.