Sign in to follow this  

Got the inverted forks mounted, a few tweaks to go

I got them on the bike yesterday after getting the stem pressed into the clamp.

bike.jpg

The first thing I noticed was how much taller my bike is with the CR125 forks. Before, when using my stand, I would have to run the bike up on 2 2by4s that were stacked on top of each other. Now, I just slide the stand under the motor and I have about an inch of extra room. I'm thinking the front end came up 2-3 inches. Not sure how much I can drop the forks in the clamps, but it looks only like 1/4 - 1/2 ". I had better not stop while I'm riding now. :applause:

All I need to do now is to get some steering stops installed, and to drill out a hole and install a zirk fitting on the frame for easy greasing access. It's hard to tell by the fuzzy pic, but there is about 3/8th of an inch that does not clear the ALoop tank. I'm going to see if I can find some flat allen headed fasteners, if not, I will opt to either weld a tip onto the steering stops, or to install bolts in the triples.

Picture137.jpg

How do you guys mount your headlights with the inverted forks? The tubes are too big now to let the straps wrap around, and of course there is no lower mounting bracket for the bottom of the headlight.

I have 96 CR 250 forks on my XR 250 and love them. I had custom made triple clamps made by performance engineering to keep my stock ride height and front end geometry. My headlight still fits around the forks but you have too really stretch them the first time. Also I use a zip tie around the head light through the whole to hold it firmly in 2 places.

I also had my forks revalved with Race Tech Gold valves. With stock valving they just did not handle the woods very well, now they are awesome. Good luck with yours.

How do you guys mount your headlights with the inverted forks? The tubes are too big now to let the straps wrap around, and of course there is no lower mounting bracket for the bottom of the headlight.

I'm guessing that you are using the stock XR headlight assembly. I don't know what you could do about the lower mount. The uppers can be replaced with the metal ones sold by Baja Designs. I use their headlight assembly to make it DOT legal and those mounts are great.

IMAG0002.jpg

Thanks Mike, but, as you know, and I think you might mention it in your garage, they are never truly, "Finished." I think even the sweetest bikes I've seen on this site are still being upgraded, yours being one of them.

I still need to do the steering stops, and figure out the headlight, (thanks guys for showing me some options there) and then I'll need to ride the bike and see if I need springs and/or a revalve. Also, I have to take everything apart one more time, grease up the bearings and make sure all is clean, tight, etc. Then, when that is done, I have about 6 other upgrades to start on and/or finish.