Sign in to follow this  

New Springs WOW.

All I can say is WOW. The new springs from Keintech are awesome. If you have ever thought about changing your springs then go for it. Its well worth it.

Whats your weight, riding style, and what rate springs did you go for??

Fork oil, too?? I am considering this mod, and I am sure other inquiring minds want to know...

Grazi.

My riding style is rough open desert with winding trails. Some mountains ands rocky sections thrown in. I ride pretty fast across the whoops too. I am usually running around 4th gear and 40 to 50 mph at the top of the rpm band. I wiegh 200 lbs with no gear so add in the gear I wiegh roughly 215 or so. I went with .50 kg per mm front and 8.1 kg per mm rear.

I am usually running around 4th gear and 40 to 50 mph at the top of the rpm band.

What is your gearing ratio? At the top of the RPM band in 4th my bike is screaming at 75 mph. And that is with 15-47 instead of the stock 15-41.

:applause:

I am running the 15-41 because of the extra top end I can get out of the bike. If I shift into 5th at anything under 65 in the dirt it just boggs so I keep it in 4th. It's the best compromise I have found. I go fast enough through the rough stuff that 1st with stock gearing is okay, most of the time I find I'm in 2nd in rough stuff anyway and spinning the tire for everything it's got to keep me loose enough to throw the back end around when I need to turn quickly. The only time I get to use 5th is when the trails open up and I can see a good distance ahead. Hope this helps.

When i first got the bike I rode on the street every day. now that i have moved closer to where I work I only ride on the road about once a week. But I ride off road three times a week atleast. I didn't change the oil because it still looked good.

I'm planning to buy new springs for the forks and my question is this: with 5,000 miles on the bike, would it be better to replace the fork seals now or later? If you have changed fork springs, what did you do?

I have a little of 3500 miles on my bike most of them in the dirt and I didn't change the seals on mine. They aren't leaking yet so why change them.

I am wanting to do the spring mod as well. I presently have done the airbox mod, Dyno jetting, K&N air filter, Two Bros. exhaust, IMS Tank, and I'm still not satisfied with the bike. My suspension is sagging bad. With different springs, it should change the feel of the bike.

I tend to ride off-road a bit more than road. My heart is stuck on a KTM 525exc. Has anyone made the jump either way. What advice do you have?

I have a KTM for my hard core off road and my DR for adventure trips and moto camping,both bikes have plates of course.You will not regret the KTM.

I changed my rear spring last week with no problem and I'm doing my front springs tomorrow. Are there any tricks or anything I should be aware of before changing them?

The front spring change was easy. I was done with both sides in 30 minutes start to finish. Just make sure you cut the spacer even. If not it'll take you longer. It was really easy though. It'll make a huge difference in how the bike tracks corners in the dirt. And it's easier to ride in the whoops.

I was on Keintech's site just now. Was the price $100 / side for the front or for both sides?

100 is for both of the front springs and the new spacer. You'll have to cut the spacer into two peices but it's all there with a little left over.

How much better is your bike on the trails now. I find that mine tends to slap you in the a$$ alot with no rebound damping, and the front is a little mushy. I was thinking of revalving, maybe this will work.

How much better is your bike on the trails now. I find that mine tends to slap you in the a$$ alot with no rebound damping, and the front is a little mushy. I was thinking of revalving, maybe this will work.

The revalve will transform the bike completely :applause:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1985728925801923887&hl=en

Race Tech emulators in the forks and a Gold Valve kit in the shock will make the DR trailworthy for almost any terrain. Heavier springs alone made a small improvement (maybe 30% improvement) but it was a very welcomed improvement. The stock DR suspension is aweful offroad.

If you want a good revalve, I recommend Shay Racca in Prairieville, LA - racca412@eatel.net (225-677-9564)

The suspenion is still in need of improvement but it's way better than stock. I am planning on getting the emulators for the front and revalving the rear eventually. But it is still way better than stock now. And well worth the money for the springs.

The suspenion is still in need of improvement but it's way better than stock. I am planning on getting the emulators for the front and revalving the rear eventually. But it is still way better than stock now. And well worth the money for the springs.

No DR should be without heavier springs, if taken off the pavement. It's a serious safety issue IMO. And unless you really push your DR offroad, the revalve is not a necessity. It does make the DR a lot safer and a lot more fun, though. You can do the emulators yourself and save $150 labor. The emulators in the forks, would be my 1st choice if I were doing it in stages. The rear isn't quite as important. The emulators in the forks keep the front from nose diving in all situations, and is by far the best performance mod you can make to the DR.

I got springs form Jesse (.47kg fronts and 7.6kg rear for a 200# rider with 25 lbs of gear). I did the front springs without problem and am trying to remove the rear spring to change it. Apparently, I'll have to remove the lower linkage to get the spring off. I did manage to get 3 pieces to fall off: the large aluminum block, a dished "tray" and a flimsy fork-type piece. Question: is there a diagram that shows how these go back together once I get the new spring on? Also, the instructions say to install the new aluminum block that Jesse sent with the spring "into the spring". I'm not sure which way the thing should be installed. Any advice appreciated.