Sign in to follow this  

Just bought an old 100

for my son and I to fix up and him to ride. An 82 to be exact. Looks like it's bone stock original if dirty as hell.

Are parts available for these bikes? Can the newer seats be used (that go onto the gas tank).

Thanks

Enjoy it! I bought a couple of old motorcycles this year.

The simplicity is kind of fun.

There are plenty of parts out there. New and used.

If it is only dirty and not rusted out, it should clean right up.

I always try to restore the bike back to stock and running well, then try to tinker. The factory did the hard part, they turned raw materials into a motorcycle. All I have to do is reproduce what they created.

If you don't want to mess with the points style ignition and you want to convert to CDI I have some of the parts you will need. I need to sell them because they are collecting dust. I sold my 100 a few years back.

Good luck with your project!

If you don't want to mess with the points style ignition and you want to convert to CDI I have some of the parts you will need. I need to sell them because they are collecting dust. I sold my 100 a few years back.

Good luck with your project!

How involved is it? I'm not terribly handy, especially figuring out wiring stuff. Got this in part for us to learn on together. No points would be nice though.....

Anyone know where I can find out parts interchangability through the model years? I know I need plastics, wondering if the more modern 85+ plastics will fit? Different tank, seat goes onto the tank.

The best thing you can do for yourself is get a CDI and NEW stock carb. If it has decent compression, it will run pretty much like new and trouble free for many years. Just do routine maintenance.

As far as plastics go, they are completly different from '85 and up plastics. You won't be able to swap them out due to the twin shocks and the way the frame is. You can get aftermarket plastic from Maier or used though ebay.

Socalxr actually has more info on the swap than I do. I have the stator, stator backing plate, and flywheel...I believe you would need a cdi box and coil/wire

Good luck and let me know if you need the stuff.

Socalxr actually has more info on the swap than I do. I have the stator, stator backing plate, and flywheel...I believe you would need a cdi box and coil/wire

Good luck and let me know if you need the stuff.

Ok, reading up on what little info there is. So the stator and flywheel are different? Does it matter what year the CDI stuff is?

socalxr, do you know anything about hardware? Clutch perch, footpegs, stuff like that. There is a guy parting a 89. I need those 2 things. Appears that the clutch cables are different. Learning , but not a ton of info out there about these bikes.

i think i might have the foot pegs and the bar they mount to.i know i have some clutch perch's.i'll check tonight when i get home.

dave

I have been looking for fenders for my XL100 (same as SL100) and 79 XR80.

I created this post, but not many followed on it. It was most of the XR's and what size wheels they use. For example a CR85 expert has the same size wheels as an XR100, so the fenders should be of a similar radius. CR red can be Florecent-Red in some years, but black is black if an XR or CR. I don't expect the parts to be a direct fit, but did you notice CR fenders are much less expensive than XR fenders. :applause:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468923&highlight=fenders+wheel

I have been looking for fenders for my XL100 (same as SL100) and 79 XR80.

I created this post, but not many followed on it. It was most of the XR's and what size wheels they use. For example a CR85 expert has the same size wheels as an XR100, so the fenders should be of a similar radius. CR red can be Florecent-Red in some years, but black is black if an XR or CR. I don't expect the parts to be a direct fit, but did you notice CR fenders are much less expensive than XR fenders. :applause:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468923&highlight=fenders+wheel

Did you check Service Honda? http://www.servicehonda.com/

Had a really nice SCORE today. Had bought some IMS pro footpegs for my 85 XR350 a year ago. They were for the 83-84 model but I figured it was worth a shot. They could have worked with a little welding but I never got around to it. The 100's were both all twisted up so i figured what the heck, and guess what? They FIT, perfectly. Look huge on the bike. Money not spent on parts needed + making use of part sitting on shelf + extra WOW factor for the kid = SCHWING!!

Got it running today. Dumped the old gas and put new and a new plug and boot and it fired on the 5th kick! Didn't expect it to be that easy! Happy though. Pumped up the tires and they've held over night.

Sounds great, quiet and smooth! I don't think this thing gotten ridden more than a few times. The chain slider and everything just has no wear at all. Sprockets look like new. NOw if I just had a dang clutch perch I could ride it!