Street riding

Since i don't have a trailer/truck, I gotta ride the bike to and from the desert. this is only a couple miles, but im curious how this will fair on my tires (outside of the fact that its illegal). and does anyone know any get-out-of-trouble-free tickets for gettin popped on a small road? Im working on getting a trailer so this wont be permanent.

the key to getting out of trouble is in your right wrist. stopping wont do you any good.

Yea but running takes it from a misdemenor to felony eluding if the cop wants to push it; you ARE better off stopping and being honest. Don't be a jerk and the cop "might" just give you a warning.

its a 2-stroke (assuming that you have one). thats your answer. do you reall think a cop will be able to catch up to you? cops cant drive off the road into the woods, trails, or even a big field of grass. this happens all the time to me and my friends, and down here they really dont care. they just flash their lights to scare you.

good response, balls deep :applause:

Yea but running takes it from a misdemenor to felony eluding if the cop wants to push it; you ARE better off stopping and being honest. Don't be a jerk and the cop "might" just give you a warning.

not where i'm from. the first time i had a run in with the law with dirtbikes i was 13 and riding the back of my friends TTR, i didnt have a bike yet. we just came out of trail at a dead end and went a hundred feet to the first drive and the cop was waiting there and popped us. we were 2 13 year old kids and they threw the book at my friend he ended having to spend a lot of money on fines and a lawyer. they almost impounded the bike too but the kids house was one block away so they gave him a break there. it only turns into a felony if the catch you, and to do that you have to stop sometime. ride it like you stole it.

not where i'm from. the first time i had a run in with the law with dirtbikes i was 13 and riding the back of my friends TTR, i didnt have a bike yet. we just came out of trail at a dead end and went a hundred feet to the first drive and the cop was waiting there and popped us. we were 2 13 year old kids and they threw the book at my friend he ended having to spend a lot of money on fines and a lawyer. they almost impounded the bike too but the kids house was one block away so they gave him a break there. it only turns into a felony if the catch you, and to do that you have to stop sometime. ride it like you stole it.

Let me ask a question; it may have been your first run in; but were you guys on private property where you shouldn't have been? If he was waiting it sounds like they must have a lot of calls about bikes at that location or an unhappy land owner who called them.

I'd still rather face a ticket than a felony.

Let me ask a question; it may have been your first run in; but were you guys on private property where you shouldn't have been? If he was waiting it sounds like they must have a lot of calls about bikes at that location or an unhappy land owner who called them.

I'd still rather face a ticket than a felony.

no, we were not on private property, we were at the dead end of regular town road, where a few small trails led to some hiking trails, and then a lake, your not allowed to ride ANYWHERE in NJ unless its private property and you have written permission from the landowner. this cop busted our balls cuz its a small town and he had nothing better to than feel important picking on some kids. trying to intimidate us, well it didnt work on me at least. you can face tickets all you want but if i get a ticket that means i pay about a thousand dollars and lose my license for 1 yr. how the f i am supposed to earn my living without a drivers license? if your afraid of getting caught for a felony after you run, you must either be a real slow rider, or not be on a yamaha 2 stroke. cuz im sure that no one can catch me on a KTM 85, even if they're on a quad or bike with way more power. OH NO IM CAUGHT SOMEONES CHASING MY YZ on a KLX 250?? hah yea rite, my 4x4 truck can outrun a crown vic in the trails.

thanks Adsmith, long live the 2smoke, ride til ya die.

no, we were not on private property, we were at the dead end of regular town road, where a few small trails led to some hiking trails, and then a lake, your not allowed to ride ANYWHERE in NJ unless its private property and you have written permission from the landowner. this cop busted our balls cuz its a small town and he had nothing better to than feel important picking on some kids. trying to intimidate us, well it didnt work on me at least. you can face tickets all you want but if i get a ticket that means i pay about a thousand dollars and lose my license for 1 yr. how the f i am supposed to earn my living without a drivers license? if your afraid of getting caught for a felony after you run, you must either be a real slow rider, or not be on a yamaha 2 stroke. cuz im sure that no one can catch me on a KTM 85, even if they're on a quad or bike with way more power. OH NO IM CAUGHT SOMEONES CHASING MY YZ on a KLX 250?? hah yea rite, my 4x4 truck can outrun a crown vic in the trails.

thanks Adsmith, long live the 2smoke, ride til ya die.

Well, yes I am on a '06 YZ-250. Sorry to hear of your run in with the law; but yes I would (will)stop IF I was riding on the road;which I don't.

I'll respect your opinion; but also repect mine. To me; if you run, besides the eluding issue; what by chance if you cause and accident or someone gets hurt? Things get serious real fast. (a lot worse than losing your license... Not worth it to me ).

To each their own.:applause:

i respect your opinion dlhamblin. i can understand why some people would stop and i makes senses you respect me i respect you. but unfortunatly thats not the way it is around here, the cops have a hard on for dirtbike and quad riders, and the best thing to do is just get away because the consequences just arent worth not making a run for it. you're not hurting anyone besided maybe yourself by running, but if you were to stop, that wouldnt be good for you either. IMO, its worth the risk, although i wish that they didnt give us such a hard time for time riding but i dont think thats ever gonna change.

one time me and my buddy were ridin and the cop was comin toward us, we knew we wernt in trouble, he was just gonna tell him to stop. before he could get to us we did doughnuts and started messin with him. instead of takin the trail(which there was no way he was gunna get anywhere on it) we stuck to the road and kept on pissin him off.

and then we cut onto the trail, he didnt know what to do. funny shit

one time me and my buddy were ridin and the cop was comin toward us, we knew we wernt in trouble, he was just gonna tell him to stop. before he could get to us we did doughnuts and started messin with him. instead of takin the trail(which there was no way he was gunna get anywhere on it) we stuck to the road and kept on pissin him off.

Strange; I am not laughing?:applause: Balls Deep; here is an example of why the cops give bikers in general a hard time. Some of my friends are cops. One is Highway Patrol, others are local. I've had this discussion with them before; they all too often cite the same kind of story as adsmith describes.

And riders wonder why they get hassled by the cops (and neighbors etc etc).

Nuff said, I'm out of this post...

No big deal when you're 16 and get caught. You can only end up with minimal punishnemt:

1. Lose your drivers licence for 6 months.

2. End up on probation 'till you're 19.

3. Pick up garbage along the roadside a couple of Saturdays.

4 Attend some class on how to be a better citizen.

5. Have your parents haul you to court, only a couple of time, maybe every few weeks to the probation officer. Hope they have understanding bosses at work!

6. Parents can pay any fines, you won't have to worry about that.

Remember this, evading a police officer with a motor vechicle IS A FELONY. You'l be better off stopping and having the cop tell you to walk your bike home.

As a kid I ran from the cops a few times. It was fun and exciting.

It was also very embarrassing the 3rd time when he sat back and followed us home. My dad was PISSED!

The truth is this. These guys respond to "dirt bike" calls all the time. They investigate accidents. They scrape up motorcyclists on a daily basis as well. MOST, ok....... SOME of them are not dumb. They will win in the end.

If your not riding in a way that is legal, your in the wrong and need to find an alternative way to transport your bike. Once your over 18 this kind of crap really hurts you. Try to buy auto insurance for a single 18 year old who has a ticket on his record from evading arrest and you'll see what I am talking about. By the time its off your record you could have purchased a Big Rig or toy hauler.

Strange; I am not laughing?:applause: Balls Deep; here is an example of why the cops give bikers in general a hard time. Some of my friends are cops. One is Highway Patrol, others are local. I've had this discussion with them before; they all too often cite the same kind of story as adsmith describes.

And riders wonder why they get hassled by the cops (and neighbors etc etc).

Nuff said, I'm out of this post...

on the contrary. i know kids who do the same kind of stuff, and its the exact opposite its the kids getting pissed and getting back at the cops for being so unreasonable with us. where i'm from, you can't even ride in the trails and even if you push your bike on the roads they will take it. its not about whats rite and cops being pissed about what kids do to them, its about the money and i think its ridiculous and i wont have a part of it.

i have 3 legal choices: ride only on a motocross and pay 30-40 per practice and 50 on a race day. on top of paying for race gas and my bike and parts.

or spend 300 a yr to ride at an off road park with barely any trails and MX track with all table tops. or quit riding.

im not going to do any of the above. a kid who is just riding his bike trying to have fun without drinking or doing drugs or mischeif, doesnt deserve to have his bike that he or his parent worked hard to get taken, and have to pay almost a thousand dollars and lose his license for 6 months before he gets it. the cops think they're god and i think they shouldnt have a rite to that. try riding in the pine barrens and getting guns pointed in your face by conservation officers. for what? having fun riding a motorcycle in the trails?

Balls, your points are good ones.

If you were to get caught riding illegal or running I am guessing its going to cost over 500.00 to pay the fines and get your bike back.

How about using the 500.00 and buying a d/s kit for the bike. Just the minimum to make it legal. Its fairly easy to do in Utah. Maybe NJ is cool as well? It would add very little weight and then you can street ride all you want or need to.

not on a two stroke. i thought about doing that to an rmz that i used to have but the problem with that is that you can't legally ride anywhere in new jersey unless it is private property and you written permission to be there. theres a lot of trails that you just can't ride in with a plate or not, so if i had a plate and was riding somewhere that i wasnt supposed and took off, i would be caught for running by my plate, and that would seriously limit the places that i can ride as the best riding areas here are pits or places that used to be pits that owned by developers where building is being held up by the town. that and i just have an instinct to run when anyones behind me i dont think that would go away if i had the plate.

I agree with DBH. Stop, be honest and don't act like a smarta$$. One thing for sure, you may be able to out run a car but you'll never out run the radio call to another officer.

Another thing to consider, if you do live that close to the riding area and live in a small town they'll find you. This time or one of the next times.