Sign in to follow this  

What coolent do you guys run?

When the summer time comes around and my bike will be out in 30 Celcius weather. i dont want to have to worry about over heating.

i eventually will buy fluidine radiators. but until then what are your thoughts of

1) Engine Ice

2) Water Wetter

my bike is an 07 RMZ-450 - hopefully if this snow clears up here i will get a chance to break her in and ride for the firs time in the next week or 2

I ran engine ice for years, however with 4 2007 bikes we have run regular coolant in right now. However with summer coming (In Texas), I will switch back to engine ice. It has never let me down.

Suzuki coolant for now since as of right now no cooling issues. Rarely does it piss out any coolant but things are heating up here. I won't ride much past May since it gets too hot to ride. I'll resume riding in late Sept.

wow - you lucky bastard. you are the complete opposite to us here in canada - my season starts late march/early april and goes to october/november.

when the warm weather hits im going to be looking into engine ice/waterwetter.

water wetter as well only because i will be able to mix it with coolant as well???

Prestone 50/50 Anti-freeze/Coolant. It's premixed with distilled water so no extra mess or measuring in the garage. It is just another one of my pre-ride maintenance items to top of before going out to ride. Cheap and available at any auto parts, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Prestone 50/50 Anti-freeze/Coolant. It's premixed with distilled water so no extra mess or measuring in the garage. It is just another one of my pre-ride maintenance items to top of before going out to ride. Cheap and available at any auto parts, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

:applause:

I hope your not using car anit-freeze/coolant in your bike. Thats not a good thing. The chemicals in car anti-freeze/coolant will eat away at all the coolant passages and will eventually block the passages and then you will have a melt down. if i was you i would drain it all out and flush it out for a while and a couple of times. then put in some motorcycle anti-freeze/coolant.

:lol:

I hope your not using car anit-freeze/coolant in your bike. Thats not a good thing. The chemicals in car anti-freeze/coolant will eat away at all the coolant passages and will eventually block the passages and then you will have a melt down. if i was you i would drain it all out and flush it out for a while and a couple of times. then put in some motorcycle anti-freeze/coolant.

Please enlighten me as the coolant is made for aluminum block engines and contains no silicates. I will definitely switch if what you say is true but can you please explain what makes car and motorcycle coolants different?:applause:

I have been using it for nearly a year now. I wrecked hard, had to have Myler's repair my radiators, called the dealer where I bought my bike and they said "just make sure the coolant is made for aluminum engines", and have been using it since then.

Thanks in advance for the info...

Please enlighten me as the coolant is made for aluminum block engines and contains no silicates. I will definitely switch if what you say is true but can you please explain what makes car and motorcycle coolants different?:applause:

I have been using it for nearly a year now. I wrecked hard, had to have Myler's repair my radiators, called the dealer where I bought my bike and they said "just make sure the coolant is made for aluminum engines", and have been using it since then.

Thanks in advance for the info...

We shoucl call Mylers on this. I know Terry would answer the question in a second.

There are so many brand anymore. The statement "silicate free" is on every bottle I looked at at wal-mart. This must have been a problem years ago, but I dont see anything sold anymore that says "Includes silicates" or anything liek that.

I would like to know if the new red colored stuff is ok. Its getting harder and harder to find the old green kind. I used Engine Ice for several seasons. No real problems, but it is too expensive for something close to Sierra.

Yeah, I can't figure out if the Prestone, or any other automotive coolant, is detrimental to the cooling system of a motorcycle. However, I just bought a bottle of Engine Ice as summer is just around the corner here in California and I have heard good things about EI for warm weather riding so I will make the switch after a thorough flushing with distilled water.

Engine ice tends to boil easily if you're not moving fast, like trail riding. If its only moto it should be ok. One of the magazines did a big coolant test, they said the stuff you can get from zip-ty racing was among the best.

i use regular old antifreeze also without any problems, i have tried engine ice but i think it was a waste of money. the engine ice seemed to boil out alot more and faster at the sand dunes than the regular water/antifreeze mix. and from what i have heard its not the antifreeze that causes problems its if you use regular tap water instead of distilled or deionized water or whatever its called