Sign in to follow this  

Nissan Frontier question....

A couple months ago, I bought a 2000 Frontier crew cab. I really like the truck except for one thing. It takes 5 - 7 minutes to warm up in the morning. The idle stays at 1500 RPM for that long and I hate to put it in gear ( it's an automatic) to soon because that's hard on the transmission. Is this normal for this year truck ( 3.3 liter V6 ) or is there a fix for it? Thanks

You could do what my stepdad does to his f250 diesel. Stick key in ignition, turn, wait 3 sec, start truck, put in gear, floor it :lol:

He even does this when its 30 degrees. Hes such a :applause: ing moron

It shouldn't be that high at all, maybe 1000-1100 rpm for warm-up, then around 600-650 in gear...

I have a pathfinder that did the samething, come to find out I had a bad clutch fan that was cooling all the time, even on 30 degree days. I left it thinking it was normal, untill I started to loose power and gas mileage. the worst part about it was, the annoying sound of the fan running all the time.

I checked the clutch fan and it is not running all the time-but I am getting crappy mileage. No power loss at all - this truck hauls ass! Any other suggestions , guys????

You could do what my stepdad does to his f250 diesel. Stick key in ignition, turn, wait 3 sec, start truck, put in gear, floor it :lol:

He even does this when its 30 degrees. Hes such a :applause: ing moron

BHahahhaaahhaahahhaha

A couple months ago, I bought a 2000 Frontier crew cab. I really like the truck except for one thing. It takes 5 - 7 minutes to warm up in the morning. The idle stays at 1500 RPM for that long and I hate to put it in gear ( it's an automatic) to soon because that's hard on the transmission. Is this normal for this year truck ( 3.3 liter V6 ) or is there a fix for it? Thanks

How long does it take for the temp gauge to get to normal operating temperature? Maybe something is wrong with the cooling system? If you are sure the cooling system is working properly, then your issue would be with the thermo element (wax pellet kit) possible sticking or just missadjusted fast idle screw. PM me with your email address and I'll send you over service manual procedure. They're real simple to follow.

How long does it take for the temp gauge to get to normal operating temperature? Maybe something is wrong with the cooling system? If you are sure the cooling system is working properly, then your issue would be with the thermo element (wax pellet kit) possible sticking or just missadjusted fast idle screw. PM me with your email address and I'll send you over service manual procedure. They're real simple to follow.

It takes a few minutes for the temp gauge to even move slightly and about 5-7 minutes to get to normal operating temp.. I hope it is something simple..PM sent

Most newer vehicles have a high cold idle like that. They do that so that the engine warms up quicker. The quicker it warms up the more efficient it runs.

I wouldnt worry about it. I dont think that 1500 rpm is high enough to hurt the tranny. If you break your tranny due to that, its not a vehicle that is worth owning in the first place.