Sign in to follow this  

XR 250 Swing Arm Removal

I have a 96 250 and I can't get the swing arm off. The bolt that goes through seems like it is seized up. Is there any sort of trick that I may be missing?

Yes they do get stuck very easily if you don't take them apart periodically. I have gotten mine unstuck by loosening the nut just a little, leave the socket on the nut and hit the socket with a BIG hammer:bonk: !!!! As it moves loosen the nut a little more but do not hit the nut once the you get it backed off the bolt quite a bit because you may mess up the bolt. After you get it out make sure you use steel wool or something abrasive to clean off the shaft of the bolt where it seized up and then grease everything up real good. You can't put too much grease in the bearings.

The way I removed mine was:

Take a normal socket for the bolt, and grind it down so you get 100% bite instead of the tapered edge

Take a ratchet with a big ass pipe and give it hell (either way is fine). The pipe I used on the end of the ratchet was about 4' long and I could barely get it to turn. Also could use impact guns. Just keep spinning it once you get it to break loose and spray some penetrating fluid in there.

It's not done yet. Take a brass drift that will absorb the damage and a mini sledge. Then pound the f:foul: out of it. Keep spraying penetrating fluid as you go. If it stops, try spinning a little bit.

Although, those were the steps I took with my 2001. You might be in for even more trouble. A torch on the back of the engine where the bolt passes through would help, but don't overheat it. Also supporting the bike so that the impact of hitting is concentrated on the bolt and the bike cant move helps a lot.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Impact gun. Use some penetrating lube and and have the other side bolt secured with a socket(and wrench =))

The way I removed mine was a large Sawzall and cutting the bolt into 4 pieces. Do a search on it and consider yourself lucky if it comes out with only a hammer.

Make sure you support the frame underneath where the bolt comes out. I bent my XR400 frame a little because I didn't support it good enough. Actually, I didn't do it, a friend did.

I destroyed the threads on the nut and bolt on mine (hit the nut itself with a hammer when it as partially threaded off), don't do that, it's a $40 mistake.

What I did was lay my bike on it's side (turn the gas off), and fill the recess that the nut is in with PB Blaster. Let it soak until all of the PB is gone (soaked through), did this 2 or 3 times to make sure at least part of the bolt was covered (though most of it probably just came out where the tranny meets the frame, but it had to help a little bit), then I turned my bike over and did the same thing on the other side and did the same thing. Then I took my dad's Milwaukee V28 Impact wrench (air would have been nice, but I didn't feel like going to his sawmill to get the big guy), put that on there, and broke the bolt free. Then I kept turning it until it spun somewhat easily, then turned it some more and sprayed lube in there. Then it pounded right out. Not sure if this will work for all, but it worked on my bike.

Then I greased up the new bolt and put that in.

• Like 1