Sign in to follow this  

It followed me home ...

134235671-L-1.jpg

:applause:

But you guys were right - this guy is seriously stopped up. It's a wheezing, coughing, sputtering, sorry excuse for a 450. That restrictor is coming off first thing and the JD jet kit should be here tomorrow or the next day.

Also, whooooo doggie, this puppy is geared high. It's first gear is about like 2nd on my KLX. I read the gearing thread. 14:50 seems to be a good starting point?

Just curious, how difficult is it to swap the front sprocket? For those that might have a good ways to ride on the road to get to the trails, does anyone run maybe run a 14 tooth up front on the road and when you get to the trails swap on a 13 tooth? Is that too much hassle to do by the trail side?

EDIT: Oh, forgot to ask, if I go with 14:50, do I need a new chain? If so, how many links? Thanks!

Don't know about the chain, but if offroading is your thing I would start with a 14/52 combo first as 14/50 is still pretty high. The you can always go to a 13T CS if needed. 13/50 is still good for 90+mph on a gravel road!:applause:

Bruce

Don't know about the chain, but if offroading is your thing I would start with a 14/52 combo first as 14/50 is still pretty high. The you can always go to a 13T CS if needed. 13/50 is still good for 90+mph on a gravel road!:applause:

Bruce

Thanks Bruce!

Anyone know the chain length needed for 14:52? I'm also getting a 13 tooth so I can try both. I'd like to order ASAP. Sprockets are already in my "cart", just need verification on the chain. If no one knows, is there a way to calculate that, or should I just buy and extra long one and cut it down?

BTW, when I said it was a "wheezing, coughing, sputtering ...", you know I meant that in the nicest way :lol: I can't wait to open it up ... I'm stoked!

Congradulations on yer new bike! My 06 400exc came with the 14/50 set up and I switched to a 13/52 which (for me) made tight trails much easier to ride. The gearing was way too tall stock. The original chain worked just fine. Lots of guys run that combo with the stock chain.

I have had good luck with 13-49 on mine. Get an exhaust and the bike will run great.:applause:

I just put a 14/52 on my 07 450EXC. I went with a 120 link and cut it down 4 links. The stock chain is 114 links. I guess 116 is the number that worked for me.

With a 14/50 combo you should have no problem with the stock chain.

Congrats on the bike!