Sign in to follow this  

Rubber Band Start

I want to put up a 70s style rubber band starting line on my track but a lot of time it's just my son and I riding and we don't have anybody to hold it and then let go.

Is anyone electronically inclined that I can hire to build a battery powered, weatherproof electronic "box" that would hold the stretched rubber band until we "armed" it by hitting a button. It would then let go of the rubber band at a randomized time between 5 and maybe 20 seconds after the "arm" button is pressed. <--- does that make sense??

I want to line up behind the rubber band, hit the button, have a few seconds to get ready, and not know exactly when then rubber band is going to automatically drop.

Anybody?

even it if wasnt a random time, but just a long time like 20 seconds, i think that would work, It would be hard to jump a gate even if you knew it was goin off at exactly 20 sec as it would be hard to count exactly the same everytime while being ready to gun it.

i dont know how you would make it, but i wanted to add that as a thought.

personally i would say make a backwards falling one, and hook it up to whatever timer you come up with, that would be more realistic of a track.

LOL! I had that link open in another window! The thing is, sometimes I have as many as 10 people riding at my track and I don't want to drop 2K on a starting gate - AND I'd still need somebody to trigger the gate.....

yeah with a ten person gate even if you built it yourself you would have quite a bit into steel. back to your original question, i know i have seen practice gates with timers, so if you can find how they did it, then adapt it to the rubber band?

I think you maybe able to do it mechanically also, instead of electronically.

ok this might not make sense, its late and i just thought of it.

think of a teter-totter(TT). the heavy end goes down. Well if you made a small TT and it had a bucket to catch sand on one end.

Then you could have a funnel suspened over it and pour your sand in, it will self meter down to bucket based on size of hole.

Now the TT would drop whenever the weight overcame the weight on the other side, You could set those at whatever worked.

When the TT drops it pulls a string attached to a lever that was holding the rubberband. therefor releasing it.

Understand what i mean?

It would be simple to mock up, but would take some practice to perfect.

• Like 1

:lol: :lol: :eek: Last time I lined up to a rubber band was in,,,,,,,,,1976. You always wanted to be close to the guy hold'n the end cause there was always that guy that would jump the start and get it wrap'd around his neck.:applause:

:eek::naughty::lol: Last time I lined up to a rubber band was in,,,,,,,,,1976. You always wanted to be close to the guy hold'n the end cause there was always that guy that would jump the start and get it wrap'd around his neck.:lol:

Did that myself once, actually copped it in the ribs :lol:

The rig used mostly around here was twin bungy cords the size of your thumb, took two guys to load it. Tell you what, you only jumped that set-up once :applause:

Depending on the trigger it might actually take a bit of energy to trip. I like the water/sand-clock idea, maybe with a trip like a cross-bow trigger mechanism....

if its just the 2 of you then just throw a rock. stop side by side, grab a rock off the ground at toss it up as high as you can, get your bike revved up and drop the clutch when it hits the ground. simple simple.

Last rubber band start for me was racing minis... 4 man concrete start in...2004! ha.

What you describe should be able to be made, but the sand and funnel idea sonds a lot simpler and cheaper!