Sign in to follow this  

new rider So Cal

Hello, I'm Brandi, 35yrs old, mother of 2 teens & new rider & single.

Hoping to find places to ride that isn't too challenging. I'm thinking logging roads. even a regular dirt road would be good.:lol: hopefully i shall ride in the desrt too!

I got my liscence in Aug last year and i'm not too comfortable to leave the parking lot, so the boys on labusas.org thought i should go dirt till i get more confident.

long story short, bought a 1995 DR125 and it is at the mechanic getting a complete over haul and face lift. I shall get it back next week.

Where shall I go? who shall i ride with?

I'm self sufficient with my own truck and toy hauler... so i can get there.

but i just don't know where "there" Is...:applause:

I'm so excited!

her she is! I can't wait to see her redone!!! (my other bikes have turned out awsome!!!)

DSCF1801.jpg

and for the record, this is me...

DSCF0016.jpg

• Like 1

I live in North Los Angeles, The San Fernando Valley.

But i will travel. I have nothing to lose. take my street bike with me and my dr125 and have a ball. make a weekend out of it. I'm not a fraid to go have a little fun!

here's my street bike.1980 SR 250 yamaha exciter. It was a project bike. i don't build them. i fund the building. I love restoration:thumbsup: LOL!

bikevisitation006.jpg

great learner's bike! 3k miles:crazy:

Desert,desert,desert.Long flat roads.Lotsa protective gear.Someone along to help if you get hurt or the bike quits running/breaks.Aquaduct/powerline roads north of Dove Springs would be a good spot.

Rowher has some nice and easy fire roads...and its close to the SFV...

There is Rowyer Flats off of Siera Hwy in Canyon Country/Saugus area, about 45 minute ride to staging area. Adventure pass needed. East side of the main staging area would be the better side to learn.

Desert riding such as Soggy Dry Lake, Johnson Valley. Three hour trip oneway makes for a long day.

I here ya on the long day bit. I went to ADMOtours.com dirt bike school and i was asleep befor we got off the lake bed at el miriage!

what is an adventure pass?

I plan to only ride with a partner in case something funky happens

thanks every one for yer help!

adventure pass is needed to display on your rear view mirror when parked,get them at sports chalet,big five and walmart and other places.Get the year pass its a better deal $35 I believe...

I'm not much of a fire roads kind of guy, but their is a book called "backcountry adventures southern california" and it is made for offroaders, mainly jeeps and trucks, and you can buy it at some book stores, or 4 wheel parts store. Anyways it is packed full of trails that are perfect for what you are looking for, very scenic, and not all crazy or whooped out. And trust me their are plenty up by SF valley, they're all by california city and jawbone. Also if you want to get away, you can head down to ocotillo wells. Some people might think I'm crazy for suggesting Ocotillo, but it has tons of roads and washes, and if your looking for a good time, thats were it's at. :applause:

I totally can't get over how helpful ya'll are! wow! this is so nice.

I shall get the year adventure pass. it'd toally suck to get loaded up and all my outfits and gear and stuff and not be allowed!:applause: yikes!

All I can say is desert for what you like to ride I mainly try to stay in the california city/jawbone/red rock/dove springs area. There are a lot of jeep trails that can be very easy, but if you want more singletrack and such there is always that available. California City is 1 1/2 hours from northridge where I live and it is well worth the drive for this type of riding. You should try it out some time and you might find that you like it.

there are plenty of rides going on out in the desert with mixed groups of riders. keep an eye on this forum as there seems to be rides just about every weekend.

Big Bear in another month is the place to ride everything from easy fire roads to awesome single track. Let me know if you are interested. My wife is learning as well and I will be teaching her to ride as it starts warming up.

since you are in the sfv just shoot up the 5 to gorman, theres alot of easy beginner minded trails there, thats where I taught my wife to ride

since you are in the sfv just shoot up the 5 to gorman, theres alot of easy beginner minded trails there, thats where I taught my wife to ride

Gorman is great during the week. Too many chances for a head on during the weekends I stay away from there on saturday's and sunday's.:applause:

Gorman/Hungry Valley is a great place to go ride. Mon-Fri is generally your best bet there. I try to get up on 1 or 2 Fridays per month. Still a bit cold up that way, but warming up :applause: I am in west LA and am an intermediate rider, not wide open all the time. Anyway, if you ever head up that way let me know.