Sign in to follow this  

Clutchless Gear Changes

haha.. i upshift all the time without the clutch, especially during a wheelie.. can't imagine a reason to downshift without the clutch. i'm sure it does'nt hurt it..

Its not the best way to extend the life of your tranny, but its suprisingly not that bad for a sequential transmission. Gary Semics actually incorporates clutchless downshifting into his motocross tecnique. Just don't do it while there is a large load on the tranny. That IS bad on it.

hhmmm this could easily turn into an"oil type thread or mabey loud pipes" lol

ive done it regularly on my 2strokes(always rode hard then sold them).....but ive never owned a bike before with the longevity of my drz....i do it once in a while on a wheelie...

I upshift almost all the time without the clutch, Its not going to do much harm if you get the timing right.

Downshifting i have done and know how to do, but im not as keen!!

That involves accelerating into the downshift, doesnt really appeal, as i downshift to SLOW down!

When done properly, its fine... however, if you don't know how to do it properly and you are constantly grinding the gears while trying... then yes, its going to damage things.

I upshift and downshift ALL the time without the clutch, because I don't have one. (Installed a Recluze last summer)

Once you get used to it, takes maybe 10 minutes, the bike doesn't care.

There's an article on cluthless upshifting in this month's Sports Rider if I remember correctly.

I almost always ride without the clutch. I use it to start, and to feather, but other than that, I just shift away, up or down. I have never had a problem with my DRZ, or any other bike I have riden.

Thanks peoples, I got into a bit of a habit of doing it when riding around and although it never once crunched I thought I would pose the question make sure i was not just building up to a gearbox rebuild.

Cheers

Steve

I use it all the time in my rides here, the terrain here is very technical and demands a lot of gear changes, so I use it in order to be faster and sometimes just to rest the hand. Most events I go to have more than 100km of very demanding terrain and sometimes my hand needs a rest. :applause:

It would be good to know if there is any real damage to the gearbox when upshifting. Maybe Burned or some other mechanical expert can help us out.

Someone here stated before that it's fine in the dirt but the grip on the tarmac puts more load on the tranny. I relearned using the clutch on the street after that. I dunno. I think I'll save any wear on the tranny for wheelies and racing.

Always better wear and tear wise to use the clutch.

If you match revs and shift (up or down) without the clutch, the amount of wear and tear is minimal to insignificant.

If you bang full throttle clutchless shifts on pavement, expect to have tranny trouble.

On dirt, you do have some shock absorbing action from the slippage garnered by the dirt as you know the DRZ has no cush drive to help absorb driveline shock. Same shifts on asphalt can be a little harder on the gear dogs.

I occasionally shift without the clutch, but I have been riding so long, I do not even realize I am using it. Like breathing, a natural action. Shifting clutchless, is 99% of the time a deliberate action.

Use the clutch unless there is a reason not too is the rule I adhere to.

Use the clutch unless there is a reason not too is the rule I adhere to.

Same here. I use the clutch over 90% of the time on the upshift.

I only go clutchless in certain situations like when I need maximum acceleration or I need to shift

while exiting a corner and reaching for the clutch would be impractical or could destabilize the bike's suspension.

This being said you can shift clutchless in a seamless manner if you do it right.

I just don't see a need to to it on a daily basis. This is more of a ragged edge/max performance/track maneuver.

I never go clutchless on the way down because you can hurt your transmission and lock your rear wheel real easy, all things which tend to slow you down.

My 02 cents. As always my comments are street/SM oriented.

I drive a tandem axle dump at work and shift it clutchless all the time. It is easier than double clutching and if done properly won't hurt anything going up or down the range, just remember to accelerate into the down shift. To upshift, I just back off the throttle a bit. You can't do it under load or you really have to force things to go--this is bad!