Sign in to follow this  

coolent leakage

i just installed my new 290 kit from JE flawlesly and its all broken in and goodness, but i notice that for some reason after only about thirty seconds of riding, my over priced engine ice coolant is escaping out of the radiator breather hose. could this be because the cap is bad? also, i noticed small black specs in the fluid resembling the material on the cap itself. there is no sign of water in the oil, and i dont think that my head gasket is blown, but i could be wrong as i have never experienced that before. the gasket set that i used was a "cometic" gasket set.

any ideas as to where to start?

You might have too much coolant in there, it is equalizing itself - no big deal. The "full" level is usually just above the cooling towers, not all the way to the cap. If you fill it all the way up to the cap, it will spit the excess out and level off accordingly.

i just installed my new 290 kit from JE flawlesly and its all broken in and goodness, but i notice that for some reason after only about thirty seconds of riding, my over priced engine ice coolant is escaping out of the radiator breather hose. could this be because the cap is bad? also, i noticed small black specs in the fluid resembling the material on the cap itself. there is no sign of water in the oil, and i dont think that my head gasket is blown, but i could be wrong as i have never experienced that before. the gasket set that i used was a "cometic" gasket set.

any ideas as to where to start?

I've also had Yamaha radiator caps go bad. It does the exact same thing you're talking about. Did you smell the coolant to see if it smells like combustion ?

If the head gasket is blown there shouldn't be any water in the oil, because when the gasket blows, it pushes the combustion gases out thru the head gasket into the water jackets, and over pressurizes the readiator, sending the coolant out the overflow. The water can't really get into the oil, because the oil is down below the piston, and the water is above the piston.