Sign in to follow this  

'05 SM510 Headlight

I dont know if this has been posted before. I did a search and couldn`t find much.

Can I put a stronger headlight on my '05 smr510. I`m sorry to say but the stock light really sucks. As soon as I get on a road without streetlights I can hardly see a thing. Makes me feel lost and vulnerable.

Its a race bike... fair enough, But if they gonna go through the effort of making it street legal they could at least have put a decent light on it. If its being used on the road you`re bound to ride at night at some point or another.

What would the strongest light be i can put on her?

Is it just a matter of changing the globe to a stronger one?

Should i put in a whole new headlight? Maybe remove the globe socket and modify the current "reflector"(the shiny part around the globe) and mount one of those tiny strong headlights in it? That way the bike would still look the same,just have a stronger light fitted in the old part.If that makes sense.

Thanks for any advice

WL

You will need to upgrade your stator, they are the same as the KTM EXC series bikes, and replace the 35w headlight unit before you will get any real light out of the bike. The KTM "float the ground" mod is easy and popular, giving you enough juice to get by with a H-4 headlight, I have a 270w Electrosport stator conversion and can run heated jacket liner, gloves and my H-4 Baja Designs headlight with very good results. Best bang for the $ is the ground float, ($40-60 with necessary reg/rec from Trial Tech who also list the directions) and Baja Designs headlight unit for about $100 shipped. The Electrosport was $270 but your headlight dimming from your brakelight turning on will be over. Jim.

Anyone running Led stoplight/turnsignals to conserve energy for the headlamp? Is the lighting circuit AC or DC?

I put one in as a stop gap while waiting for the 270w kit. You will never get the full advantage of a H-4 without at least rewiring the stator, even the stocker is dimmer than it should be, I had the same light (35w) on a 610 last year and it was terrible but the 450 is worse as it falls off without RPMs. The 610 had alot more capacity, 240-260w IIRC. With a floated ground you convert the split stocker, AC/DC to full DC, all the power feeds the to battery which then feeds the lights, signals, etc. You can run the lights without the engine running with the conversion so a switch to shut them off is needed. The LED did help the stocker with brake light drain/dimming but it still aint fixed. Trail Tech is a good site to look at for options, like I said, same as KTM RFS bikes. Even your stock 35w will be better with stator mods. Jim.

I have a cyclops on my 510 works great.

With the stock stator?

Thanks

I have a cyclops on my 510 works great.

any mods to make it work right? or wire it up different etc etc...

some people say you need to do small mods to get it working properly and some say it was a direct swap....so im just curious what ppl did and why some needed to mod it and some didnt