Sign in to follow this  

'99 KTM 300 EXC Weak Points

Need a little help here guys-I am going to go look at a 99 300 EXC tonight, and would like to know of any glaring weak points I should be looking for-this bike is almost too good to be true-$1000 (one of those "I need money yesterday or I'm gonna be evicted" deals), and I am no dummy when it comes to the obvious, but is there anything in particular I should be looking for that is specific to these bikes (common breakage)????:applause:

Thanks in advance.:lol:

CH

I have a 99 300 and love it. So far, mine has been bullet proof. I went from an 03 CR 250 and was a little nervous about going to a bike that is 4 years older, but it has been a great move. I love the 300. So far I havent found any weak points. The only thing that I could even mention would be the stock pipe dents easily, but thats the way pretty much all pipes are. If you can get it for the price you mentioned, Id say go for it. They are great bikes. Infact, my next bike will be an 08 300 with electric start. :applause:

BTW...ktmtalk is a great site to get some more info.

Good Luck,

Matt

Hey, Chickenhauler!!!

I'm definitely no expert on older 300s, havin' owned my '98 MXC for only 8 mos. or so. But it's been a really good bike for just about anything I've wanted to do with it. I ride a mix of friend's practice tracks, one or two local mx tracks, & trail ridin'. No problemos with mine. I'm fairly certain my '98 model & your '99 will be somewhat "similar". Does yours (the bike you're looking at, rather....) have the 50mm Extreme conventional forks? They're a great front end; very tunable, rigid, & etc..

Some 300s, new & old had overheating issues. It seems to be kind of a crap shoot on that. The guy I bought mine from said he never had an overheating problem with his bike. Since I've owned it, neither have I. & I've given it some good chances to boil over when riding at the Burn..... Ask the current owner about this. I'd guess the majority of 300 don't overheat, but that's a guess....

The "older" 300s don't seem to have the problem of the powervalve pin falling out, which is good.

The rear shock seems to generally be ackowledged as "adequate-to-good", depending on who you talk to, or who's posts you read here, & at www.ktmtalk.com .

Jetting could possibly be the only other issue you may need to address, but that's almost universal with any bike, anymore... These are good bikes, with relatively few problems. I really like mine, fwtw.

Thanks for the replys-unfortunately, there is already a sale pending and I replied to the seller somewhere in the neighboorhood of 30 mins after he posted it.:applause:

Oh well, deals like this one never last long, I did inform him I'm interested and have cash ready if it falls through. (Fingers crossed)

Oh well, deals like this one never last long, I did inform him I'm interested and have cash ready if it falls through. (Fingers crossed)

If this makes you feel better - the forks were installed upside down in 1999. And KTM makes a pretty leaky air box - Can't submerge them for more than 5 min with the engine running w/o taking water into the crankcase.

......... and KTM makes a pretty leaky air box - Can't submerge them for more than 5 min with the engine running w/o taking water into the crankcase.

:applause: That's an interesting statement. How aften do you have your bike in water that deep for that long? I don't think I've ever had a bike in the water that long, especially not water deep enough to get in the airfilter box. In fact if I ever was in the water that long it would probably be because I dunked and drowned the bike anyways. :lol:

I was joking. There are some deep puddles here though.

But seriously, I thought the first year for inverted forks was 2000.

:p That's an interesting statement. How aften do you have your bike in water that deep for that long? I don't think I've ever had a bike in the water that long, especially not water deep enough to get in the airfilter box. In fact if I ever was in the water that long it would probably be because I dunked and drowned the bike anyways. :p

Shut up :applause::lol: :lol: :eek::naughty::lol::worthy:

The pics he posted of the bike show inverted forks, and I am looking to buy a bike, not a submarine!:mad:

Everybody's a comedian! :worthy::ride::lol::usa: :usa: :lol:

KTM makes a great sub. :smirk::lol:

Shut up :applause::lol: :lol: :eek::naughty::lol::p

Everybody's a comedian! :worthy::ride::lol::usa: :usa: :lol:

KTM makes a great sub. :smirk::mad:

Comedians get paid for their efforts, I am just a wise elbow.:worthy:

Upon closer looking at the pics, they are not inverted, the lighting was poor, and he has black guards that are faded a bit, so it looks like a fork wrap.:p