Sign in to follow this  

Should I try to fix it myself or leave it to a pro?

Hi all,

I'm having a few problems with my recently purchased 2001 DRZ400E. See details of what my issues are in my other thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477629

In a nutshell, any one of the following could be causing my woes:

- Valves

- Carby (pilot Jet dirty)

- Accelerator Pump

- Bad Fuel

So my bike needs a bit of work to get her running well and I'm trying to decide if I should give it a go myself (with manual in hand) or just pony up the dollars and pay someone that does it for a living.

I have a road bike backgound (all fuel injected) and possess what I'd call a "limited to average" ability working on my road bikes. I do the basic stuff like replacing a drive chain, sprokets, brake pads, bleeding the brakes, oil/filter changes, coolant changes etc. I have no experience working on the real guts of bikes. I also have ZERO experience with carbs/jetting.

Given my limited background, how realistic is it be for me to do the following to try and get my bike working in a reasonable time frame? (I don't really want it to take me 3 weeks of stuffing around)

1. Valve check (maybe adjustment if required)

2. Carby clean/overhaul/adjustment

3. Choke assemble replacement

4. Accelerator Pump check

5. Spark plug replace (while I'm in there may as well do it)

For a rough comparison, approximately how much time would your average competent mechanic take to do the same tasks.

Cheers

Greg

i would ''weigh up '' the advantages and disadvantages of

1 fixing it yourself

2 shelling out the $$$ .

do you have the mechanical aptitude and the tools required to do the job ??

do you have the $$$ to spare ??

...do you have the mechanical aptitude...

I have no idea :applause: I don't know how hard or involved the tasks are.

Do I have the spare $$? Well technically yes, but there's always something I'd rather spend the money on, like off road gear.

I think I'd have most, if not all the tools I need.

I should also mention that I don't have my Clymer service manual to refer to yet. It'll be turning up in the post in a week or so. Obviously if I had it, I'd have a much better idea if I was capable of performing these tasks.

Cheers

Greg