HI compression gasket 03 cr250

I bought the Moose Hi compression gasket kit.

The base cylinder gasket es 0.012" instead the 0.020" OEM.

Will my bike run with more compression and power???...............I looking for a boost in the low end range.

I'd stay away from it. This bike already has too much compression and detonates badly on pump fuel. From experience, raising the compression is not what it's cracked up to be. It narrows in the powerband and requires you to use exotic race fuels. Do it only if you know a tuner that will machine the head to compensate.

I'd say do it, but know that 0.008" isn't going to make a huge difference.

This bike runs less compression than any other 250...the reason they detonate on pump fuel is because of the large squish clearance they're blessed with when they leave the factory. The hi-comp gasket kit will raise the compression to approx. 8.85:1 CCR which is still lower than any other stock 250.

i run the cometic thin base gasket in my '96 in combo with .018 taken off the head and did notice a pretty significant difference. i run premium pump gas mixed 40:1 and don't have any problem with detonation

I bought the Moose Hi compression gasket kit.

The base cylinder gasket es 0.012" instead the 0.020" OEM.

Will my bike run with more compression and power???...............I looking for a boost in the low end range.

I used the Hi comp. cometic gasket on my 03 & it did help the lowend. I ran 91 octane at 32:1 with no problems. As some one stated on this thread they are the lowest compression of the 250's. :applause:

just wondering, what is the best gas to run in my cr250? i currently run 93 octane, i dont kno wwhere in my city has a higher octane for pump gas, what gas station chains in your area, sell higher octane fuel? we have roughly 18 different gas stations within a 3 mile radius of my house, so im sure someones neighborhood gas station that has higher octane fuel, i snear me, thanks guy's.

just wondering, what is the best gas to run in my cr250? i currently run 93 octane, i dont kno wwhere in my city has a higher octane for pump gas, what gas station chains in your area, sell higher octane fuel? we have roughly 18 different gas stations within a 3 mile radius of my house, so im sure someones neighborhood gas station that has higher octane fuel, i snear me, thanks guy's.

Well here in California, at least where I'm from, the highest pump gas you can but is 91 octane. I have to go to a race cart shop and buy my 110 octane gas, thats why it's 7 bucks a gallon. Where I live, there is not actual pump station that has high octane gas.

It narrows in the powerband...

Is that true?

I purchased a used 2002 CR250 a few months back and the previous owner had "shaved the head" 30 thousandths. I really dont know how this bike is supposed to ride stock but mine has an incredibly hard hit but the power seems to be narrow as you describe. I am always short shifting it to stay away from the hit when I am in the woods.

I am thinking of doing a top end to freshen the motor and want to know if you guys think I should replace the cylinder head with a new OEM head and if that would widen the powerband at all?

Thanks!

Is that true?

I purchased a used 2002 CR250 a few months back and the previous owner had "shaved the head" 30 thousandths. I really dont know how this bike is supposed to ride stock but mine has an incredibly hard hit but the power seems to be narrow as you describe. I am always short shifting it to stay away from the hit when I am in the woods.

I am thinking of doing a top end to freshen the motor and want to know if you guys think I should replace the cylinder head with a new OEM head and if that would widen the powerband at all?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by no hand

It narrows in the powerband...

i don't think thats true, when i had the head shaved on my '96 it enhanced the powerband everywhere(especially down low). something to consider though, my '02 has a very brief powerband and i've heard other guys describe their '02s the same way. it might just be the nature of that beast, personally i can't stand the way my '02 runs thats why i'm still riding my 11 year old bike because it will smoke the hell out of the '02 in every way other than suspension.

Increasing the compression is more often a big hype. I've had many engines modified and sometimes even the compression was reduced. The one time I tried increasing compression by shaving the head I wasn't too happy with the results. It gave more low end but lost some overrev to compensate. I realized it is pretty easy to mess up a perfectly fine engine.