Sign in to follow this  

update on 89 cr80 that kept boggin past 1/2 throttle in dec-2006

dealer had it 2 months, had 30 hours into it, replaced everything i just replaced. had great compression, had no air leaking, did a leak test. some kid working on it noticed a hairline crake on the right side of the crank case but it didnt go all the way thru to the crank. was JB welded up, tested again for air leaking and pasted. started it up ran like $hit nothing helped. finaly they gave up and said we cant fix it. one of the simplest bikes to fix and 2 dealer couldnt figure it out. i had a $2000 $1800 for labor and $200 in new parts.

service guy felt really bad, gave me 20% off every part and said screw it ill charge you an hour. took me $2000 bill down to $214. had every guyin the shop work on it and look at it, one guy been there 30 years and never seen anything like this.

they tore the whole motor apart, checked everything and everything was fine but it still ran like crap. i spent so much time and money on the thing with OEM parts it was a new bike. i sold it last weekend and bought some used bedroom funiture.

only thing i can think screwing stuff up was a ported cyclinder somone may have screwed up...stupid bike. never going to own a honda dirtbike again, let alone another 2 bike ever!

i sold it last weekend and bought some used bedroom funiture.

^^haha^^

dont give up on honda's it had to been a fluke, if someone thats been int he fiel dfor 30 years never seen anything like it, its a fluke, dont give up honda's rule!

i damn near restored that bike for my fiance to ride, it would just show no love back. ive own hondas before, 1997 cr125 was a great bike i own, also XR200's 85's and 87's.

but not really, i am thru with bikes and honda cr's. if i ever get anything again its 3wheelers:applause:

this left a bad taste in my mouth for good.:applause:

It was 18 years old! How can you expect it to be a top notch racing machine that will never have a problem?? Damn, if my bike runs like shit in anoter 13 years, I'm never buying a Honda again!

i baught my gf a 2002 xr 200r she loves it, i hope nothing goes wrong with it

age means nothing, i used a 2002 head a jug, every wear item replaced. somone screwed up porting bad since everything else checked out, it never ran like that with the old cylinder that had a crack in the plating. didnt think of until the other day since i knew it was ported.

oh well, it runs good just cant do WOT, its long gone now, i could care less. sick of bikes let alone off road toys.

and if you spent all this money on parts, why didnt you replace the cylinder too? that seems like a cheap and easy solution to determine if that was the problem.

i did replace the cylinder, the 1st one had plating comming off the cylinder. you cant test cylinders until they on the bike....

so if you replaced the cylinder with a factory new oem cylinder from honda and the problem was still present then it has nothing to do with the porting on the cylinder as you surmised at the bottom of your initial post.

the cylinder i bought since the 1st one was toast was used and ported. after replacing everything it was the porting, someone screwed up badly doing it.

Ohh I see how its Honda's fault now. You bought a bad, used and previously modified part. Makes perfect sense. :applause:

Man, this dude's bringing me down! Go ride three wheelers! I had one of those back in the mid-80's. I'll stick to TWO WHEELS! :applause:

the cylinder i bought since the 1st one was toast was used and ported. after replacing everything it was the porting, someone screwed up badly doing it.

so did you determine for sure it was the porting by replacing that turd with a new one? if so, why did you sell the bike? if not, why not? obviously a simple change of the cylinder at that point could have prevented your deep seated hatred of Honda.

just a thought.

Honda's rule. Dumb people dont.

after dumping over 1600 into it, spend 600 trying to figure out its problem i sold it. i needed bedroom funriture. i bought the cylinder off a dealer. $150 for nothing.

bikes long gone, road fine til 3/4 throttle then ran like crap. just dont wanna own any again now. got better bikes to play with like my street bike.

now close the thread