Sign in to follow this  

CR250 gearing question(s)

just wondering out of curiosity, what sprocket combo front and back, gives a cr250, a 2001 to be exact or any model but, the fastest top speed?

what combo gives it the fastest hole shots?

what combo gives it the best motocross track set up?

what combo is best for trails?

It's really tough to answer your questions as posed because everyone has different preferences. However, this spreadsheet may help you make some decisions. I've limited the choices to 48 - 53 tooth rear sprockets and 13 - 14 tooth front sprockets. The spreadsheet is arranged so that gearing combos near the top are better for accelerating quickly at low speeds while the gearing combos near the bottom are better for higher overall top speed. Stock gearing for '01 is 13/50, so it's bold. I believe the internal gear ratios are the same from '92 - '07, so this spreadsheet should be roughly valid for all those years. Not all combos can be used with the same chain length. As I've said in other posts, buying a 13 and a 14 front sprocket along with a 51 rear sprocket allows you to cover the spread pretty well with minimal changeover difficulty. In my case, a 116 link chain works well for both setups.