Sign in to follow this  

8yr old moving up?

My 8 year old has pushed the limits on his ttr 90 and is now trying to do things the bike just will not do. He needs to move up He needs to learn how to use a clutch. (Oh let the screaming begin hahaha.)

So what bike is up next I have checked out the kx 65 and the ktm 65, does any one else make a bike for the mid range kid.

PS he can jump his 90 like 5 feet in the air pegged at 3rd gear. has climbed and swooped the main hill at shell reef Ocotillio Wells. and can pretty much stay up on long trail rides with any one, Fear is not in his vocabullary and we are thinking of putting him in a few races in the future to see what he does. HELP PLEASE.

I'm thinkin your on track with that idea of the ktm 65.

It should make him respect a bike after a few loop outs....just tell him to watch out...It will be a nice bike though, it has more power and you don't have to worry about the suspension either, it will take plenty.

The 65 is logical next step. Any small 4 stroke wont have the suspension he needs. Maybe find a nice used one cause he'll be ready for an 85 after two seasons. good luck

the ktm 65 has the best suspension from what ive heard. the kid wants to ride mx? if he does then ktm65 is probably the best choice.

KX or RM 65 is the way to go. Unless you've got deep pockets then go for the KTM. I don't think most people can justify spending that much on a bike though.

The difference between a ttr90 and a ktm 65 is absolutely amazing. My brother bought a ktm 65 to mess around on, and that thing will rip your arms off. I say it will be a great bike for anyone moving up, but I just want to tell you that they pack alot of power in that little bike.

I just recently moved my 9 yo son from a KLX 110 to the KX 65. After a couple of hours working the clutch thing out, he is flying. The suspension and brakes are night and day from the four stroke, not to mention the two stoke power. He's still trying to get used to the powerband. The 65 is not very forgiving there. It's either on or off. Important thing is, he doesn't want the KLX back :applause:

why not a xr80? a ktm 65 would be awesome though.

Dude, an xr80 is no better than the 90 beside the fact that it has a manual clutch. Suspension is still crappy, and it isn't any more powerful. I honestly hope you were not being serious.

Dude, an xr80 is no better than the 90 beside the fact that it has a manual clutch. Suspension is still crappy, and it isn't any more powerful. I honestly hope you were not being serious.

+1 lol

I just went thru this also. Was painful watching my 9 yr old tru to jump his PW80 :applause:

He is a smaller age 9, so having the feet be able to reach the ground is crucial. The KTM 65 was the perfect choice. This bike is tried and true and had a great suspension (!) and unbelievable power (power that is manageable). I thought he would take some time learing to use the clutch and 6 spd, but he took right to it and absolutely loves the plushness of the suspension.

My son moved up to the 65 last year when he was 6 1/2, the only reason was because of the lack of KTM dealers nearby, I think any of the 65's are the perfect next step, parts accessibility should be a consideration, the older kx & rm's are a little lower:thumbsup:

Go with the KX 65. We did the KTM 65 thing for 4 months. The list of broken parts makes me shudder to this day (subframe, rear hub, brake rotors, clutch parts, chain guides, chain rollers, brake line guides, fuel petcock, etc.). The parts are expensive as well. Sold the KTM and bought 2 used KX 65s. They will not break! They may not be as good a race bike as the KTM is, but they are close. My son has many wins and podiums on his KX against KTM competition. And I know my son has become a much better rider on the KX, simply because it is always running. We got to the point where we were almost afraid to use the KTM because it broke so often, and I did not want him to miss a race. You can beat the crap out of the KX all week on the trails, hose off the number plates, and take it to the track on Sunday! It never misses a beat. The KX 65 gets my vote as the best "smiles per dollar spent" bike ever.

My son will be 9 at the end of this month. I moved him to a kx65 in May of 2006. He took to it very quickly. I don't think your son will have any problems. The KTM is a better bike but it will run you about $1,000 more than the Kawi. The major difference is the suspension, however that doesn't mean the KX65 does not have decent suspension. It will be night & day compared to the TTR90. My son is routinely hitting 60' jumps without a problem. I think the KX65 is a little more reliable & cheaper to maintain. Just my .02 cents.

Also a good thing about the KX65 - if you can clutch that thing you can clutch anything. I bought one for my stepson and I taught myself on how to clutch on it as well. My DRZ is way easier to clutch than that little beast.

Go with the KX 65. We did the KTM 65 thing for 4 months. The list of broken parts makes me shudder to this day (subframe, rear hub, brake rotors, clutch parts, chain guides, chain rollers, brake line guides, fuel petcock, etc.). The parts are expensive as well. Sold the KTM and bought 2 used KX 65s. They will not break! They may not be as good a race bike as the KTM is, but they are close. My son has many wins and podiums on his KX against KTM competition. And I know my son has become a much better rider on the KX, simply because it is always running. We got to the point where we were almost afraid to use the KTM because it broke so often, and I did not want him to miss a race. You can beat the crap out of the KX all week on the trails, hose off the number plates, and take it to the track on Sunday! It never misses a beat. The KX 65 gets my vote as the best "smiles per dollar spent" bike ever.

I would not disagree with your assessment although I will say that my son broke his rear hub & he broke his frame completely through in 2 places on the kx65. We had to get it welded. I think if they are hard enough on the bikes any of them will break. The advantage to the Kawi is that it is much cheaper to fix & parts are more plentifull.

Thanks:worthy: I think we will go with a good used kx65 probably 06. Then after a few races over the next couple of years or when I think he is ready I will go up to a 85 or 125. Thanks for the help.:applause::lol: