Sign in to follow this  

Steering stem bearings

My steering stem bearings need to be replaced (03' CR250R). I haven't looked at them yet but I replaced the fork seals and the steering felt notchy. The manual says to replace the bearings and races as a set.

1. Shoud I just check the races first before replacing them?

2. I don't have any tools to press them in, can I use a long bolt, a nut and some washers to do this?

3. The manual says to press the bottom bearings on with a hydraulic press and a special tool. Other people I have talked to said the bearings slip right on (on their bikes, not CRs), do I need a press for this? Is there another way to do it without a press?

You do not need a press, I just bought a long punch from ace hardware and used a hammer to knock them out, takes awhile though, to put the new ones in use a mallet.

i got the races out with a long punch and a hammer. I got the new ones in using the old bearings and a mallet. for the bottom bearing, it is pressed on. I used a punch and hammer to get it off, along with an appropriately sized pipe and hammer to get the new one on.

Thanks guys, did you have to buy OEM races? I don't see them being sold with the after market bearings.

When I looked at the diagram it looked as though the bearings and races were sold as a set. Do you know if that's correct?

Go with the all balls bearing kit. It comes with races and taper bearings for the top and bottom as well as the top seal, and costs 50% less than OEM.

Edit: the kit also comes w/ the bottom seal as well...

I used Pivot Works on mine.Whatever brand you use make sure you grease it well with some type of waterproof grease.

Good Luck!!

Go with the all balls bearing kit. It comes with races and taper bearings for the top and bottom as well as the top seal, and costs 50% less than OEM.

Great, thanks guys. :applause: