1st district response to SB 5544

I received the new 80 response canned letter from Senator Kline. I also heard back from my district (greater Lynnwood, WA area) Both of the representatives I sent my email to responded. I have yet to hear back from my senator....

Rhino

Dear Mr. Dahlen,

Thank you for writing. Senate Bill 5544 has been placed on the Senate second reading calendar and awaits a vote on the Senate floor. If the bill were to be pulled to the floor and received a majority yest vote, then it would come to the House. Once in the House, it would have to go through the committee process and then come to the House floor for a vote. Finally, if it cleared that hurdle it would go to the Governor for a signature.

The House version of the bill is considered "dead" for this session. It did not even get a hearing in the House committee. I do not serve on the committee in this area of the legislature and am not extremely familiar with all the issues in the House bill that failed. My recollection is that the original bill was stimulated by a situation where someone wanted to locate some kind of motocross track near a residential area. That sounds like a dumb idea to me, but that kind of decision should be evaluated by the local government that has zoning authority. I will review the Senate bill if it makes it to the House and keep your comments in mind if it advances to the House floor for a vote.

As for Senator Kline's email...

I do not know Senator Kline. If he did author the email that you forwarded to me, he sounds very unprofessional. (I'm being polite).

There are districts in this state where the Representatives and Senators get elected year after year without challenge. We refer to those as "safe districts". Those few districts exist for both Democrats and Republicans. In those districts their elected officials don't necessarily have to consider a variety of opposing positions on any subject. Apparently they also have no requirement to be polite and professional. That is an unfortunate reality for those of us that take pride in doing a thorough job and being professional. In our District I represent both Democrats and Republicans and people that have a wide variety of positions on any given issue. I do the best job I can in examining the issue and trying to find middle ground where I can.

I appreciate the opportunity to serve as your State Representative and urge you to continue to share your concerns and or regards with me regarding this or any other matter. Your input is extremely valuable to me and helps guide my decisions related to potential legislation that will have a direct impact on Washington State residents. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark L. Ericks

State Representative

1st District

ericks.mark@leg.wa.gov

Olympia Office:

332 John L. O'Brien Building

PO Box 40600

Olympia, WA 98504

Thank you for the letter Kevin. I have no problem with people riding all terrain vehicles, or jet ski's.

Al O'Brien

I too live in District 1 and have not received a response to the letter I sent our Senator. She is on the Rules commitee and I am a little afraid she passed it through. I am going to try to call her today but I am not holding my breath.

My response from senator Dan Swecker who has been a real staunch conservative republican, kinda set me back a bit. It went like this:

I wanted to get back to you regarding Senator's vote on Senate Bill

5544. I can tell you that Senator is eager to engage in the debate on

the Senate floor regarding this issue. At this time, he is undecided on

the bill, so he appreciates your input. I know that Senator is

concerned about the noise impact on communities that are densely

populated with homes. The bottom line is that he will keep your request

to oppose the bill clearly in mind as they address the noise abatement

issue.

Thank you again for your e-mail.

Sincerely,

Donna Sorrell

Senior Legislative Assistant on behalf of

Senator Dan Swecker

I was a little dissapointed on this reply. We'll see if he snaps out of it.

No word back from Sen. Eric Oemig, other than acknowledgment.

Thank you for contacting our office. This is to let you know that your email was received. I will see that the Senator gets your message.

Thank you,

Georgia Requa

Legislative Assistant to Senator Oemig, 45th District

360-786-7672 Office

requa.georgia@leg.wa.gov

I replied back asking what the Senator's position is on this issue. I've yet to hear back.

Just got off the phone with 2nd district Sen. Rassmusen's office, they said she will likely vote NO on this because Rassmusen represents alot of people in Yelm/Roy farmland who use ATV's for work purposes and she doesnt believe that 45db out there is needed. I know I read somewhere else that someone called in and they told her they supported the bill, after talking to them today it seems to me that they dont really know alot about this bill and that those of you who have called in ARE MAKING THE DIFFERENCE!!! I explained to her that it only applied to off-road motorsports-non licensed - non street legal and explained how that was not fair. Her reply was, "OH! Thats a good point sir!" "What about my lawnmower?" I also explained to her that 45db is similar to normal conversation to which she agreed. Like I said, I get the impression that they dont really have a grip on what this bill is all about so KEEP CALLING!!! It looks like they are getting educated and maybe swaying to our side! She also said they have read Sen. Klines email but did not comment on it. She seemed very eager to have Sen Rassmusen call me back once she got in this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sen Rassmusen's direct ph# 360-786-7602

Well at least you got an acknowledgment nothing yet from McAuliffe 1st district at all.

McAuliffe's sons are or were and I know of atleast one that still is an off roader....... I don't know if that makes a difference :applause:

Here is the reply I received fron Senator Steve Hobbs of the 1st Congessional District, 44th Legislative District (Mill Creek, Snohomish, Marysville)

Peter,

Thanks for the words of support. As for the bill, I agree with you, and

I plan to vote against it.

-Steve

:applause:? :eek:

Here's the reply I received fron Senator Steve Hobbs of the 1st Congessional District, 44th Legislative District (Mill Creek, Snohomish, Marysville)

Peter,

Thanks for the words of support. As for the bill, I agree with you, and

I plan to vote against it.

-Steve

:applause:? :eek:

Like Kline said "Please circulate this to all motorized sports enthusiasts, so they can remember never to vote for me."

I not only will remember who voted for 5544 and who voted against 5544, I will make sure that their voting record info is posted EVERYWHERE during their re-election attempt.

John

Like Kline said "Please circulate this to all motorized sports enthusiasts, so they can remember never to vote for me."

I not only will remember who voted for 5544 and who voted against 5544, I will make sure that their voting record info is posted EVERYWHERE during their re-election attempt.

John

One thing that I think would be helpful that maybe WHOVA or Clout could put together would be a voting record for the senators and reps that are running in regards to ORV issues. That way when election time comes, people can have easy access to this info. Last go around, I didn't really look into their records because I didn't have the time to research everything. Just a thought.