Sign in to follow this  

Lock ring on rear suspension spring won't budge

How do you get the top lock ring on the top of the rear shock spring to break loose? I was attempting to set the proper sag and I tried to break it loose by using a screw driver inserted from the rigth side of the bike (in between the shock reservoir and the frame) and I could not get it to break loose even with some pretty solid wacks on the screwdriver with a hammer. :applause: I even unweighed the rear of the bike to make sure the spring wasn't preloaded.

Due to the fact that I have not loosened the lock ring before (it's a new motorcycle) I'm a bit afraid of notching the lock ring if I wack it too hard with the end of the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to break the lock ring loose without having to pull the whole back end apart and using the correct tool? (who wan't to do that right :lol: )

I was easily able to do it with a bigass flatblade and a 5lb deadblow. I accessed mine from the left (while I had the airbox and carb boot off) side. I'd say try soaking it with some WD40 first. Make sure you're trying to loosen and not tighten.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer:bonk:

Use an aluminium or brass drift and a big copper and hide hammer.

Using a soft drift there is no risk of damaging the lock ring.

A screwdriver is not the tool to use, I know we all do it, but it is not the right tool.

If in doubt use a proper C spanner, and take the air-box out to get access.

Neil. :applause::lol: :lol: