Sign in to follow this  

magnetic drain plugs worth it

Has anyone had any problems with them such as the magnet breaking off or stripping the drain threads I bought a tm magnet drain plug but don't want to install it yet till I hear someones story

I'm new so anyobody that responds thankssss

I had one running in my tranny and it saved me a lot of work. The original owner replaced the clutch, but when I changed the fluid, I was getting A LOT of shavings. I stuck the magnet in w/o the metal screen and suddenly 4-5 huge chunks of friction plate stuck to it. Apparently, the clutch blew up before I bought my bike. I'm just glad I got the pieces out.

I have heard of people stripping those plugs, probably no more than people stripping stock plugs.

I think I may invest in one of these....but I have a better idea. Can I take a magnet from a hard drive (VERY STRONG) and put it on the bottom of the oil drain bolt? If you take 2 hard drive magnets and try to pull them apart, you will fail miserably. You have to SLIDE them apart. I can take it off to change oil, but will my idea work? the magnet should magnetize the bolt....

I think the crf 50's may come stock with one, or at least I heard that from someone. I say it would be a great thing to have during a break in :applause:.

thanks alot wat plug do you have

the one in the KX is a Moose and the XR has two and they are both XR's olny plugs :applause:

i had one on my yz and it worked great, jsut dont be an get to wrench happy and strip it out, its jsut like any other bolt, it will do the job but it has its breaking point so dont over tighten it thats all

I think I may invest in one of these....but I have a better idea. Can I take a magnet from a hard drive (VERY STRONG) and put it on the bottom of the oil drain bolt? If you take 2 hard drive magnets and try to pull them apart, you will fail miserably. You have to SLIDE them apart. I can take it off to change oil, but will my idea work? the magnet should magnetize the bolt....

I wouldn't, what if the magnet comes off the bolt in the engine? Very costly.

I was talking about taking the magnet from a hard drive and putting on your drain bolt. I wouldn't do that.

I think he was thinking of putting it on the bolt on the outside, hoping it would magnetize the bolt through to the inside. i don't know though...

They don't strip any easier than a normal drain plug.

I use one and like it...when my bike was new and I drained the oil it would have some tiny aluminum particles on it so it was working.

They don't strip any easier than a normal drain plug.

I use one and like it...when my bike was new and I drained the oil it would have some tiny aluminum particles on it so it was working.

Aluminum isnt magnetic