Sign in to follow this  

What kind of stand do you store your bike on?

I just purchased a Fly Racing Stand:

fl610775.jpg (ebay...$40 shipped :applause:)

I was wondering if it is OK to leave a bike on such a stand for weeks at a time.

Do you put it up on something more secure for long periods of time or use the lift stand?

the one my pop made me out of one and a half inch angle, hes a welder so i can get things like that made easily, and its cheaper than buying a 60+ dollar one from somwhere, does the trick... :applause:,

and yes its fine, it kind of gives your suspension a rest, i have seen the stand you have, its kind of a small top part so if you have it on there it could fall easier, the ones with the wide top dont have as much of a risk, but you should be allright cause of that rubber top, it might hold it better

a cheap moose stand.. and my bike has been on the stand for 3 weeks now with no movement... :applause: No problems yet other than putting my plastics on. lol

Heres my home made job. Along with my skid plate.

jvwrbike002.jpg

I picked up an aluminum tube stand from my local moto shop. They were on closeout or something. I paid like $20 for it. It might have been a blemished batch or soemthing....

Hole in top, Rubber non-slip top....I think it says CTi or something. Haven't had to worry about it....so it must be an OK stand.

Oh and the only thing that will make the bike fall off the lifter stand is someone knocking it off... don't worry about it.

I made a lift stand in welding at school, and it works great so far. I had the bike up on it for a few months, and my only gripe was that my shock rebound settings seemed to have changed, maybe due to a loss of nitrogen pressure over the winter? But after I rode the bike for a day, it seemed to return to normal.

i use a Universal stand and it seems to work alright. I had a plastic cycra stand and it bent.

I use the dinner bell that the bike came with most of the time. I do have the one that you slip under the bike and step on the lever. I don't remember which brand it is. I like it and it works well!

For my garage, I use stands that I picked up at Harbour Freight for $40 each...in their original form, they're a bit too wide and not quite tall enough for my CR and CRF, but the mod's to them were simple. Drill four new bolt holes in the four fixed riser supports, to lift the bikes an extra 3/4 inch off the floor. The other mod was simply cutting some length off the horizontal crossmember to shorten the gap between the two rails that the bike frame sits on. That puts the "runner" rails at 16" high and a foot wide (front to back), which fits both my bikes perfectly, keeping both tires about 1/2-3/4 inch off the floor.

I also picked up some 8" turnbuckles with an additional 10" long hook and an eyebolt, to set up the lockdowns that I hook onto the footpegs to secure the bike to the stand. And it definitely secures them. The bikes are rock-solid when they're on these stands.

And the best part of all is that all four (steel 4") casters swivel and two lock, so moving them around in the garage is a total cakewalk. I couldn't do it any other way now...I'm already spoiled...

Total spent on each stand after added hardware is $52 and some change...

CapnAmericaandTheRedThreat1.jpg

The one I take to track days and events is this one.

IM000048S98d.JPG

I have one of the hydraulic scissor ones for working on the bikes. Very nice for carb and top end work.

vecc, I have the same stand you just bought. my bike sits there for weeks over the winter no problem

I use a kick stand to store the bike :applause:

Now there's a novel idea! :lol: :lol:

I happened to stumble across a milk crate, and it fits nicely shimmed with some wood...

you can use a crate that the 5 gallon water dispensor jugs come in, they are perfect height for bikes. (taller and stronger than a milk crate)