Sign in to follow this  

I just finished putting 'E' cams in my 06 SM

I recently bought a used 01 'E' engine (even has a kicker kit). My plan is to build that into a big bore stroker. The engine appears to be in good condition (supposedly came out of a runner). No holes in it, all the bolts appeared to be in reasonable condition for a six year old dirtbike. Only one exhaust stud was broken off, no biggie.

To get an idea of the condition of the engine, I popped the cam cover off and pulled the cams. Cams looked good, no visible signs of wear. So... I thought I might as well put them in my SM. Working slower than molasses (go ahead Eddie, laugh at my snails pace). They went in, took me about two hours to do. I also did the coil over mod while I had the tank off. Was hoping the space from the removal of the OEM coil was going to give a place to put the control box for a HID but that will be another day, another story.

Cams that came out were:

Intake Code letter D, replaced with code letter A Cam

Valve clearence A cam is .13mm fit, .18mm did not fit

Exhaust Code letter E, replaced with code letter B cam

Valve clearence B cam is .20mm fit, .25mm did nto fit

Unfortunately, the bike has no suspension on it so I cannot test it.

Eddie, want to reiterate the code letters and the bikes they belong to? also, if there are different E cams, any paritucalr ones better and why?

Last related question The machined gizzy on the left side, head front, exactly what is that? Being the auto decomp is on the right valve, how does that interact? Is that just a filler in case someone wants a manual decomp? If so, where can a person get the requisite parts? My train of thought here is when I go big bore/stroker with 187's, I'll be losing the auto decomp. Would be nice to have the option of adding on a manual one.

Unfortunately, the bike has no suspension on it so I cannot test it.
That's what I was thinking when I saw the thread title! :applause:

Sure Harry, rub it in, had to find the open sore and put a little salt in it. This is going to be a good test of my expansive patience.

..............expansive patience????:applause:

I think that this project is going to test a bit more than your patience William!!

just remember this........when you run into those times that you start breathing heavy & just stare at the bike, or the parts you're working on, go and grab the camera & jot down a few quick notes so you can share it with all of us at a later time. :eek:

best of luck !!

Happy Riding !!

:lol: :lol:

I have copious notes. Every change is written in my log. The cam change out was no big deal, only hard parts were getting the fuel tank off (tight fit the the FCR), breaking loose the cam journal bolts (no way were they torqued according to the book) and counting those fifteen pins on the cam chain. Really as simple as a valve adjustment. I am just slower than a slug these days, wait, correct that, I savor every twist of the wrench.

On the plus side, the machine shop called and the engine for my XT 350 is done (Had a frozen main drain/filter screen bolt) so that will be running agin in a week or so.

So, sounds like a trip to Colorado over Memorial weekend will be just the right "coming out" party for the new engine! :lol: :lol: :eek: Something to ponder! :applause:

So, sounds like a trip to Colorado over Memorial weekend will be just the right "coming out" party for the new engine! :lol: :lol: :eek: Something to ponder! :applause:

LOL... my wife would not be happy if I did that. She would have to stay home as our dogs are never Kenneled and very poor car travelers (they puke every ten miles). It is bad enough when I do a few long weekend trips with my pals, a five day stint would not go over too well. The new engine (Stroker/big bore) will not be unveiled until a year from now. As I said earlier, I am slow as molasses. Have to send the head to RHC, get the slipper, inspect and order any OEM parts, send the barrel to Millenium, get a Hot Rods crank, maybe have them put in a Falicon knife rod. I have limit how much I piss away every month on this toy. My wife wants me to dump alot more into the house, like a 10 to one ratio. $10,000 in the house, $1,000 in the bike.

My plan is to acquire the parts on the coming months. Probably send the head to Ron at the end of this month. He is so backed up, I probably will not see it again till August!

I also want to put some use into the mostly original engine. The cams I did today are about as far apart as I plan to take this engine. Then, when the new engine is all done, it'll be a swap. I might even sell the original engine or maybe build it up too and have it as a spare in case I have bad luck.

the good cams are "A" intake and "B" exhuast.they come from any year kicker or 00-06 49 state E models.04 and newer CA E models,07 E model,S,SM and the LTZ come with "D" intake and "E" exhaust.

Hi, New Cams get broken in 3000rpm for say 5min steady run then ride something like that? would used cams have a brake in mode to follow:excuseme: Thanks

Well you got your A and B alright. And got rid of the lousy D and E.

No need to test really. Either you installed them right and the engine will run fine. cool0012.gif

Or not. And the engine will blow up. a_expl05.gif

Which will it be, which will it be?

smiley_abwn.gif

Well... I don't have your patience or motorcycle engine skills William, plus my bike was out of commision so I guess I took a shortcut on the path to the big bore stroker. Left my house at 4am today and got to Eddies at 1:00pm, 9 hours of driving only stopping for gas (making doubly sure to do the speed limit when passing Aspen so I wouldn't get pulled over by aspencop:smirk: ) . Actually I averaged 50 mph in Colorodo because I had trailer trouble that resulted in one of my radiators being damaged.

Eddie started working on my bike a little after 2pm, tore apart my engine, split the crank, cleaned the debris from the hotcam sprocket bolt (saw plenty of shards) , salvaged the intake valves from my old head, installed the new hotrod crank, spacer, 1 ply base gasket, valve guide seals,millenium cylinder and piston, the new head and rhc cams by 5pm. I tried to soak up as much knowledge as I could, but probably got about 10% of it ... and I wouldn't want to be tested on that. Very cool watching the crank get split. Pretty impressive to watch.

Eddie started working on my bike a little after 2pm, tore apart my engine, split the crank, cleaned the debris from the hotcam sprocket bolt (saw plenty of shards) , salvaged the intake valves from my old head, installed the new hotrod crank, spacer, 1 ply base gasket, valve guide seals,millenium cylinder and piston, the new head and rhc cams by 5pm.
The same day? Wow....

The same day? Wow....

Yes... we were scheduled to start working on it tomorrow but I got there early and he was just finishing up another bike.

Sorry William, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Well... I don't have your patience or motorcycle engine skills William, plus my bike was out of commision so I guess I took a shortcut on the path to the big bore stroker. Left my house at 4am today and got to Eddies at 1:00pm, 9 hours of driving only stopping for gas (making doubly sure to do the speed limit when passing Aspen so I wouldn't get pulled over by aspencop:smirk: ) . Actually I averaged 50 mph in Colorodo because I had trailer trouble that resulted in one of my radiators being damaged.

Eddie started working on my bike a little after 2pm, tore apart my engine, split the crank, cleaned the debris from the hotcam sprocket bolt (saw plenty of shards) , salvaged the intake valves from my old head, installed the new hotrod crank, spacer, 1 ply base gasket, valve guide seals,millenium cylinder and piston, the new head and rhc cams by 5pm. I tried to soak up as much knowledge as I could, but probably got about 10% of it ... and I wouldn't want to be tested on that. Very cool watching the crank get split. Pretty impressive to watch.

GODAMMIT!! - Eddie, sounds like you need a rest - feel like an Aussie Holiday? I'll supply the beer and a bed :applause: (we drink real beer too - not that watered down crap you guys drink :lol: )

Well you got your A and B alright. And got rid of the lousy D and E.

No need to test really. Either you installed them right and the engine will run fine. cool0012.gif

Or not. And the engine will blow up. a_expl05.gif

Which will it be, which will it be?

smiley_abwn.gif

Geez Harry, you instill such confidence! I know I have it right, assuming the manual is correct.

TDC line centered in the hole,

exhaust arrows 1 and 3 horizontal to the gasket surface, arrow 2 vertical,

fifteen pins over to the intake, lined up with arrow 3, arrow 2 horizontal

Would be nice had there been a pointer for the line in the inspection hole to know it was exact (lol, more or less)

Yes... we were scheduled to start working on it tomorrow but I got there early and he was just finishing up another bike.

Sorry William, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Not a problem, Even though I have the ability, if I lived close enough to Eddie, I'd probably have him do my motor too. There are always details that an experienced builder knows and I (hopefully) will not be tearing my engine down enough to learns the DRZ nuances. The only area of concern for my when I do the whole boat is the clearancing of then counter balancer, but I suspect that little detail will be readily apparent when I get to that point. Who knows, I may UPS Eddie the engine, time will tell.

Eddie, words of wisdom regarding my question about the Auto/Manual decomp?

I'll throw another one your way, can Ron put a auto decomp on his 187's?

Glad to know I lucked out getting the better of the 'E' cams. Do you think my butt dyno will notice? No other changes to take place engine wise right now.